Health Education Specialist II
Peoria Hult Center for Healthy Living
Full-time; Monday-Friday, days with some evening and week-end hours as needed.
Health Education Specialist II has a primary focus of leading advanced health education projects and public health interventions that will impact attitudes, knowledge, and behaviors of diverse populations to improve community health in alignment with the UPH Community Health Improvement Plan and UPH and Hult Center’s strategic plans. This position identifies/develops, implements, and evaluates evidence-based and best-practice strategies to positively impact the greatest areas of health concerns in the community. This position works closely with the Hult Center’s Community Health Coordinator to recruit, train, and retain all appropriate internal staff. This position will assist with community health strategic planning both internally within UPH and externally through community partnerships to ensure that UPH and Hult Center’s individual and public health interventions positively impact the communities we serve. This position will assess community needs, resources, and capacities of the community; conduct evaluation and research related to health interventions; administer and manage programs, including grant requirements and program budgets and expenses. Health Education Specialist II serves as a health resource for the community and supports the community in behavior change through promoting and advocating for public health.
About UnityPoint Health:
Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time” through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation’s fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You'll find opportunities for every sized dream.
Want to know about our culture and benefits? Click here to find out more: https://uphtotalrewards.com/.
Health Education Specialist II leads advanced-level specialty health education projects and interventions that will impact attitudes, knowledge, and behaviors of diverse populations to improve community health in alignment with the UPH Community Health Improvement Plan.
· Oversees, designs, and implements health education/promotion programs to impact attitudes, knowledge, and behaviors for improved health through application of theories and/or models to address the community’s most concerning health education needs
· Ensures health education curriculum is in alignment with most up-to-date best-practices and state and/or national health and other relevant learning standards
· Applies principles of evidence-based practice in selecting and/or designing strategies/interventions and develops processes for integrating health education into other programs/services when needed
· Provides best-practice, expert health education consultation and training, fidelity monitoring and observation, technical assistance, and action plans for improvement to individuals, groups, and organizations to influence positive outcomes, cultures, and climates in specialty area which interventions take place
· Works closely with Hult’s Community Health Coordinator and Marketing and Development Coordinator to identify and develop health communication messages reflective of all Hult Center’s health education programs and initiatives and that health education programs are well represented in all aspects of marketing support and materials meet the needs of all program staff.
· Assists Hult Center’s leadership team in identification of strategies that will best address most recently identified community health priorities for the Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP)
· Conducts evaluation and research related to health education and works with Community Health Coordinator and education teams to feasibly incorporate findings into program improvement and refinement
· Ensures equity and inclusion are integrated into planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of health education programs and services
· Advocates for health, health equity, and health promotion by engaging stakeholders and leading advocacy initiatives related to health; this includes handling complaints about controversial topics (reproductive health, for example); meeting with superintendents, parent organizations, news & media representatives to clarify operations on their subject areas of expertise
Health Education Specialist II serves as a program coordinator for multiple grants and manages grant requirements including writing, outcome and financial management and reporting, and assisting Health Education Specialists I staff with grant oversight, as needed.
· Serves as a program coordinator for multiple grants, with specialty advanced-level program oversight
· Writes grant proposals for new and existing funding opportunities
· Oversees contract management process of all relevant grants/contracts
· Meets all grant reporting deadlines, benchmarks, and expectations
· Manages financial resources for health education/promotion programs
· Prepare, develop, and manage program budgets and prepare budget reports for leadership team
· Maintains knowledge of multiple funding sources and the requirements set forth by these funding sources
· Identify internal and/or external funding resources for health education programs and facilitates discussions with partners and other stakeholders regarding health education programs/ opportunities
· Trains and assists Health Education Specialist I staff with program grant oversight, as needed
· Facilitates efforts to achieve organizational mission and contributes to implementation and monitoring of strategic planning under content specialty
· Collects, analyzes, interprets, and synthesizes assessment findings to identify community needs, improve health promotion programs, and communicate findings to priority populations, partners, and stakeholders
Health Education Specialist II serves in various capacities that assist both Hult Center and UPH in immediate and strategic goals and other duties, as assigned by Hult Center leadership.
· Serves on a variety of internal and external committees
· Assists UPH departments in a variety of support capacities in the event of hospital emergency response, patient surges, or staffing shortages, for example
· Assists Marketing and Development Coordinator in annual fundraising events and promotional opportunities
· Assists in administrative duties including scheduling, agency presentations, front desk coverage, educational program assistance, and more
· Other duties as assigned
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Master’s in Community, Public Health, Education, Health, or other related field;
Minimum 5 years' experience in related field; CHES/MCHES certification, if qualified, through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing
· Demonstrates ability to work with diverse populations
· Teaching experience and public speaking background for small and large audiences (1-500+ attendees)
· Demonstrates effective public communication and presentation skills
· Demonstrates effective classroom management, communication, and presentation skills
· Manages student discipline in classroom settings
· Communicates orally in a clear, concise manner, tailoring the message to the intended audience
· Demonstrates grant writing and grant management skills
Experience working in the community or with other community based organizations
Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License in the State of Illinois.
Must possess and maintain auto insurance.
Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) must be run annually.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
Proficient in computer work – specifically all Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Publisher, PowerPoint).
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.