The Surgical Technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. He/she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and constantly maintains the integrity of the sterile field.
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· On-call responsibility with 30-minute response time.
· Gathers, checks and opens supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedures and vaginal deliveries.
· Performs surgical scrub, and donning gown and gloves and PPE
· Sets up sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment and medication/solutions needed for procedure.
· Counts sponges, sharps and instruments according to policy.
· Assists the team members with gowning and gloving.
· Assists with draping the patient and establishing a sterile field.
· Participates in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure
· Prepares and anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment, and supplies for usage during the procedure.
· Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and supplies to surgeon during procedures
· Assists the anesthesia provider.
· Assists with positioning the patient, using appropriate equipment and anatomical principles to avoid patient injury.
· Assists with applying tourniquets and monitors before the procedure begins.
· Assist with Vaginal Deliveries
· Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
· Performs additional counts as necessary.
· Prepares sterile dressings and or immobilization devices.
· Prepares and passes off specimens as appropriate.
· Monitors the comfort of the patient and provides verbal and tactile reassurance to the patient.
· Keeps accurate records throughout the procedure.
· Updates and keeps accurate records of the surgeons preference
· Assists with case charges.
· Helps to cleans OR suites in between surgical procedures and labor rooms and puts away surgical supplies and equipment.
· Treats patients/families with dignity and respect.
· Maintains an effective working relationship within this department, with other departments, and providers.
· Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business and directs appropriately.
· Responsible for reporting non-compliance issues to Compliance Officer.
· Manages/operates equipment safely and correctly.
· Meets educational requirements per policy
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited school of surgical technology, or Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse with equitable experience with documentation of similar training.
Experience in an ambulatory or hospital surgery setting or equivalent surgical knowledge.
BCLS, ability to sit for surgical technologist certification and obtain certification within 12 months of hire for the graduates of schools of surgical technology.
Team work, technical aptitude, flexibility, professionalism, motivation, planning and organizational skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.