HVAC & Refrigeration Technician
Monday-Friday, 1st shift.
This position is subject to being called in for emergencies and will assist with snow removal during winter months-week-ends.
To provide Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration installation and maintenance services that include using established engineering practices in correcting malfunctions; assisting with design, installation, and modification; performing quality assurance and code required testing; and performing preventive maintenance procedures applied to all types of H.V.A.C.&R. and related systems. This position will be accountable for the entire HVAC system and all of its components for the main hospital and where needed. Maintains and repairs as needed to pneumatic and digital control systems. May be called upon to maintain, service and trouble shoot equipment outside of the normal range of responsibility for HVAC technician.
About UnityPoint Health:
Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time” through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation’s fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You'll find opportunities for every sized dream.
Want to know about our culture and benefits? Click here to find out more: https://uphtotalrewards.com/.
% of Time
PERFORMS REGULAR AND SPECIAL WORK ASSIGNMENTS TO MAINTAIN ALL H.V.A.C.&R. AND RELATED SYSTEMS IN A FUNCTIONAL AND SAFE CONDITION WHICH MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF ALL APPLICABLE CODES.
· Maintains knowledge and skills in the diagnosing and repair of all H.V.A.C. & R. equipment and systems.
· Maintains knowledge of heating and cooling system distribution systems throughout the facility.
· Provides continuous input on the status of the facility in regards to possible code/safety issues.
· Performs preventive maintenance work assignments, testing and inspections for the purpose of reducing the severity and frequency of malfunctions of equipment or systems which may impact building operation use.
· Performs all work within acceptable codes, guidelines and practices in the industry
· Performs all of the above in a timely manner
· Subject to call on off duty hours.
CONTINUALLY DEMONSTRATES THE ABILITY TO BE RESOURCEFUL AND EFFECTIVE. WORKS TOWARDS HIGHER LEVELS OF SKILL AND EXPERTISE AND ONGOING IMPROVEMENT OF BASIC KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS RELATED TO THE H.V.A.C.&R. TRADES.
· Attends educational offerings to validate skills and maintain current knowledge of trade.
· Maintains and updates knowledge of current processes and practices as technology changes and advances.
· Demonstrates initiative in communicating with other staff to ensure the proper completion of assigned tasks.
PERFORMS PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE FOR THE PURPOSE OF REDUCING THE SEVERITY AND FREQUENCY OF MALFUNCTIONS OF EQUIPMENT OR SYSTEMS WHICH MAY IMPACT BUILDING OPERATION AND USE. THIS PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE IS GUIDED BY THE ESTABILSHED DEPARTMENTAL SCHEDULES AND MANUALS WITHIN THE ASSET INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (A.I.M.S.).
· Maintains 100 % on-time completion of scheduled preventive maintenance.
· Identifies potential risks/problems when working with H.V.A.C. & R. systems and inform supervisor.
· Completes documentation of work by completing daily time sheet, logs and records in a timely manner according to departmental policies and procedures.
PROMOTES AND CONTRIBUTES TO BUILDING AND FOSTERING TEAMWORK WITHIN THE WORK GROUP, THE ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE DIVISION, ALL OTHER DIVISIONS WITHIN FACILITIES MANAGEMENT AND ENGINEERING, AND THE MEDICAL CENTER EMPLOYEES AND MANAGEMENT.
· Assists in achieving department goals and objectives.
· Interacts constructively and supportively with other staff.
· Recognizes roles others play in providing patient care.
· Provides pertinent information as requested.
· Assists peers in assignment completion.
· Gives and receives peer evaluation constructively.
· Completes required work on the snow removal team.
· Duties as assigned
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent
· 3-5 years of experience in/with commercial refrigeration services, extensive temperature controls experience as applied to refrigeration and H.V.A.C. systems, plus significant knowledge and experience in maintaining commercial H.V.A.C. systems.
· Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License in the State of Illinois.
· Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) must be run annually.
Certified as refrigeration technician as defined accepted by U.S.E.P.A Universal preferred.
· Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
· Interaction with a wide variety of people
· Maintain confidential information
· Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
· Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
· Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
· Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
· Basic computer knowledge: Uses word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail application, and web browser. Comfortable within a Windows OS and learning new applications.
· Windows Operating System
· E-mail client