Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Responsible for the delivery of safe and reliable patient care, in coordination with the healthcare team. The primary role of the RN is the execution of the nursing process in providing required care and evaluation of the care given. Responsibilities include: assessment, nursing diagnosis related to focus problem areas, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care. Performance of these responsibilities requires specialized knowledge, critical thinking and skills based on principles of psychological, social, physical and biological sciences that utilize the nursing process. RN’s work with a variety of patients with rehabilitative needs on the inpatient rehabilitation unit. In addition, this associate is expected to adhere to and exemplify the St. Luke’s Focus values and the PMR associate-patient relationship policy.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Patient Care- Clinical
· Develops and implements an individualized care plan according to current standards of nursing practice, evidence based practice and hospital protocol/ procedures.
· Integrates patients and family teaching throughout the hospitalization related to the care plan.
· Administers medication and nursing treatments within scope of practice.
· Performs admission and shift assessments per specific departmental standards. Utilizes physical assessment data, diagnostic data (lab, radiology, diagnostic testing), pharmacological information and patient/family perceptions in formulating nursing diagnosis related to focus problem areas and identifying goals of care
· Real time Electronic Medical Record (EMR) documentation is done in accordance with hospital and unit policies.
· Demonstrates knowledge of the profound and prolonged impact of disability and chronic illness on an individual’s developmental, physical, social, emotional, spiritual, economic, vocational, and leisure status.
· Integrates the interdisciplinary approach to individualized treatment plan for rehabilitation.
· Maintains comfort, supports human functions and responses, and maintains an environment conducive to wellbeing utilizing the CARE delivery model.
· Incorporates the interdisciplinary treatment plan into the plan of care.
· Evaluates the outcomes of both the nursing care and interdisciplinary treatment plan.
· Partners with other patient care team members to achieve patient’s progress towards outcomes identified in both the plan of care and the interdisciplinary treatment plan.
Patient Care - Communication
· Communicates/collaborates with providers and other members of the healthcare team during daily huddles and rounds to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care.
· Demonstrates good written and verbal communication skills with patients, families and members of the healthcare team. Verbal communication is clear and precise. Written communication is legible and done in a timely manner.
· Effectively delegates tasks and responsibilities to other members of the healthcare team and assumes responsibility for follow-up.
· Collaborates with unit leadership as appropriate.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, CARF, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education, departmental staff meetings and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Must have successfully completed an accredited nursing program
· On-going educational activities related to clinical knowledge, professional and health care issues, and interdisciplinary team concepts and practices.
· Previous rehabilitation experience preferred.
· CRRN and CBIS encouraged.
· CPI recommended.
· Must possess current RN Licensure in the state of Iowa
· Obtain/Maintain current BLS certification
· Reads, writes, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Must be able to successfully complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training
Nurses practicing in the area of rehab should foster the belief that individuals with functional limitations have intrinsic worth that transcends their disability and/or chronic illness. These nurses should plan to view individuals as complex yet unified, whole persons who have the right and the responsibility to make informed decisions about their future. In promoting patient’s achievable independence and adjustments conducive to health, rehab nursing services should assist individuals and their families in looking beyond the disability. Rehab nursing services should plan to support interventions that reduce the stigma of disability and help patients re-establish and maintain control over all aspects of their lives. The patient and family are always considered essential members of the team. Rehab nursing roles include those of patient educator, caregiver, counselor, care coordinator, case manager and patient advocate.