Patient Care Assistant - RN Students only
Unity Place - Proctor Hospital
FT - 32 hours/week, Benefitted
2nd shift 3:00p - 11:30p, every other weekend and holiday rotation
To assist Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses in the provision of patient care by performing assigned patient care and unit maintenance activities as an adjunct to the Nursing Assistant position.
About UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace:
UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace is proud to offer the most comprehensive addiction and mental health services in the Peoria, Illinois region to you and your family. UnityPlace was formed by the joining of UnityPoint Health®, Human Service Center and Tazwood Center for Wellness in April of 2019. UnityPlace is a new non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the growing behavioral health care needs of the community. Our compassionate and committed treatment team is comprised of many experts from psychiatry and addiction medicine.
Our goal is to deliver comprehensive behavioral healthcare to optimize the patient's well-being. It is our privilege to partner with our patients on their journey of healing.
As a member of the UnityPlace Team, our team members are eligible for a benefits package including:
Additional benefits are available, apply today to discuss our full benefits package!
Performs Patient Care Activities as delegated by the Nurse utilizing applicable policies and procedures to ensure patient needs and expectations are met.
· Knowledgeable and skilled in applicable procedures in providing care.
o Provides hygiene needs of assigned patients (AM/PM care, oral hygiene and denture care, perineal care, shampoo, bathing, shaving, care of TED/SCD hose.)
o Provides nutritional needs of assigned patients. (Tray distribution, setting up trays, offering supplements, feeding, adding tube feeding and recording intake.)
o Provides elimination needs of assigned patient. (Foley care, bowel movements, bladder training, enemas, and external catheters; records output.)
o Provides skin care of assigned patients. (turning, positioning, recognition and prevention of skin breakdown, operation of special beds, nail care, and back rubs.)
o Provides comfort measures (Proper positioning, back rubs, oral care, wrinkle free bed sheets and ensuring that bedside table, water pitcher, urinal are within reach.)
o Provides activity needs of assigned patients (i.e. dangling, turning, chair, ambulating, walker, and crutches).
o Performs measurements of assigned patients (I&O, hemoccult, gastrocult, TPR, B/P, weights, empty drains, abdominal girth, hose measurements).
o Performs additional skills as directed and supervised by the nurse, after training and certification, i.e. intermittent urinary catheterization and clean dressing changes (varies by unit or area).
· Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge of patient.
o Completes assigned aspects of admission process including vital signs, height and weight, room setup, room orientation, assists patient to bed, assures call light available etc.
o Sets up equipment for care (IV poles, admission kit, others)
o Stores and transfers belongings (dentures, hearing aids, glasses and other personal items).
o Packs up all patient belongings at discharge.
· Achieves patient satisfaction when providing patient care.
o Makes rounds minimally every two hours to assure that patients are comfortable, positioned properly, call light available, room orderly.
o Patient needs are met and satisfaction of care is expressed
o Demonstrates ability to anticipate patient needs
o Answers all call lights promptly
o Respects privacy
· Reports pertinent patient information to the nurse assigned to the patient in a timely manner.
· Documentation is completed prior to leaving shift.
Uses time, supplies, and other resources productively to promote responsive and cost effective care for our patients. Performs unit maintenance duties/errands to ensure a clean, neatly organized, efficiently operating unit.
· score: N/ACompletes care while conserving resources.
o Completes work within assigned shift.
o Overtime used only as requested by Director/Unit Leader/Lead RN/ Shift Coordinator.
o Prevents waste of supplies and linen.
o Checks patient room for unused equipment/supplies and returns to SPD promptly.
o Assists with patient lifting in a timely manner.
· Demonstrates ability to organize and prioritize work with changes as directed by the nurse.
o Uses slow time to improve unit appearance and accept additional assignments.
o Assists others in assignment completion.
o Willingly responds to requests by nursing staff accepting delegated duties from the Registered Professional Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse.
· Performs unit maintenance duties
o Maintains neat and safe patient environment, including bedside table, bathrooms, wastebaskets, bedpans, and specipans.
o Assures discontinued equipment is removed from patient rooms.
o Completes assigned maintenance tasks such as: cleaning of kitchen, refrigerators, utility rooms, IV poles, carts, making charts, and distributing SPD items.
o Ensures adequate stock of BSI supplies in all rooms.
o Knowledgeable of SPD exchange cart system and consistently charges out supplies used.
· Performs errands as requested
o Knowledgeable of locations of various support areas.
o Responds promptly to urgent requests.
Assumes personal responsibility for patient, environmental and personal safety.
· Provides for safety measures of assigned patients (lifting, transfers, side rails, bed checks, call lights, gait belt use, back safety, slide board, use of restraints.)
· Maintains clear hallways and doorways on an ongoing basis.
· Uses protective equipment appropriately.
· Always washes hands between patients and procedures.
· Practices good body mechanics, getting assistance as needed to protect patient and own safety.
· Promptly reports unsafe equipment of risky situations.
· Alert and responsive to all alarms/call lights.
· Demonstrates a practical problem solving approach to patient moving and handling issues
· Demonstrates skills to promote patient and staff safety through appropriate use of lift equipment.
Through teamwork and effective communication, contributes toward a department environment that promotes customer and employee satisfaction.
· Assists in achieving department goals and objectives.
· Utilizes teamwork effort to maintain positive patient perceptions in the areas of promptness, friendliness, attitude to call, took problem seriously, attention to special needs, temperature of foods, noise level, temperature of the room, attitude towards visitors, and concern for privacy.
· Attends educational offerings to validate skills and maintain current knowledge of patient care.
· Gives and receives peer evaluation constructively.
· Recognizes unit as three interrelated shifts, supporting changes and assisting with staffing needs.
· Is knowledgeable of quality assurance indicators and assists in improvement of patient care, such as ID bands, patient falls, and infection control.
· People-to-People philosophy demonstrated with patient and families.
o Displays warmth, concern, and respect for patients and their families.
o Respects patient's and family's privacy.
o Responds promptly to patient and family requests. Alerts the nurse promptly when his/her intervention is required.
o Timely response to call lights.
o Explains procedures, etc. to patient and family within the nursing assistant scope such as meal times, a.m. care delivery.
· Demonstrates People-to-People Philosophy with unit staff/other hospital personnel.
o Conveys warmth, concern, and respect for all hospital personnel.
o Responsive to requests and concerns from other personnel.
o Communication with others is open, honest and respectful.
· Interacts constructively and supportively with other personnel.
o Recognizes role others play in providing care to the patient.
o Provides pertinent information on assigned patients to the nurse during the shift and as requested.
o Assists peers in assignment completion.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Must be currently enrolled in an accredited school of Nursing and have completed at least one semester of clinical experience. Must remain clinically active in his/her nursing program.
High School Diploma/GED preferred.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.