Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Accurately performs chart analysis, supports physician deficiency completion and audits the UnityPoint Health electronic health record for documentation ensuring quality and accuracy of the medical record.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Perform analysis on all patient records as defined by department management to ensure that the documentation meets the requirements of the medical staff rules and regulations and assigns record deficiencies.
· Assists to obtain the necessary documentation for record completion, coding and billing purposes.
· Completes all reanalysis and physician decline work queues.
· Provides ongoing communication and education to providers on the documentation completion process.
· Collaborates with transcription support to investigate and resolve issues.
· Performs medical record chart review for various regulatory agencies as defined by department management.
· Performs QA reviews to ensure quality and accuracy of prep, scanned and indexed documentation.
· Monitor and assists in correction of scan document errors.
· Confirm receipt of valid authorization for electronic exchange and indicate compliance within the electronic health record.
· Promptly answers office phone calls or assists with phone coverage.
· Frequently monitors incoming department faxes.
· Responds to and fulfills continuation of care requests
· Access and retrieve patient information from various computer systems and media
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school diploma or GED
Associates degree in Health Science
Bachelor degree in Health Information Management
One year of experience with an electronic health record or hospital/medical setting.
Three plus years of experience with an electronic health record or hospital / medical setting,
Prior medical record analysis experience.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
RHIT or RHIA
Read, write and speak fluent English
Demonstrates the ability to multi-task and work in an organized, efficient, and process oriented manner
Exhibits excellent oral communication skills and the ability to interact with customers and team members with diverse education, lifestyle and backgrounds in accordance to the affiliates mission and vision.
Possesses good problem solving skills in reasoning through work related issues
Demonstrates the ability to adapt to change
Coordinates work to achieve maximum productivity and efficiencies with little or no supervision
Experience with MS Office suite and the ability to learn new applications