Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Certified Surgical Technologist I functions as a member of the surgical team to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical, therapeutic, and diagnostic procedures. The Certified Surgical Technologist I collaborates with the team to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The Certified Surgical Technologist I is proficient in the role of first or second scrub person, or assistant circulator during procedures within one specialty area.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Demonstrates knowledge, competency and skills with assisting, maintaining sterile fields, exhibiting aseptic technique and surgical skin preparation during surgical procedures in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Is knowledgeable of instrumentation and supplies with setup and handling on sterile field.
· Anticipates and responds to needs of surgeon, staff and patient.
· Knowledgeable in functions of Central Sterile Processing related to cleaning, disinfecting, sterilizing, wrapping and storage of instrumentation following appropriate “Instructions for Use,” IFU’s of instrumentation.
· Understands usage of standard precautions, personal protective equipment and isolation precautions.
· Prepares and assembles, all necessary equipment, supplies and positioning aids based on preference card.
· Prepares medications for administration on the operative field under the direction of the physician.
Development & Patient Education
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhances Surgical Technology practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school diploma or GED
Graduation from a nationally accredited surgical technology program
Associates degree preferred
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must possess certification in surgical technology through a nationally certifying body (NBSTSA or NCCT)
Must possess current basic life support (BLS) certification
NBSTSA certification preferred
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
Basic computer knowledge using Microsoft Office, web browser, and email
Demonstrates competency for Surgical Technologist I (Skilled), as outlined in Operating Room ST Clinical Ladder
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.