The Executive Director of Critical Care, Trauma, Neurosciences and Stroke leads the provision of care to these patient populations at Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital and Methodist West Hospital. Guided by the UnityPoint Health – Des Moines (UPDM) Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall effective operation of said areas in regard to care delivery, quality and safety outcomes, employee engagement, patient experience, regulatory compliance and fiscal management. He/she uses research and outcomes data to support the design, development, and implementation of processes and programs that improve patient care and stimulate departmental and organizational growth. The Executive Director works collaboratively with other service lines, rural providers, and community leaders to maximize care coordination between internal departments, as well as for patients within our community and rural settings. The Executive Director creates and maintains a culture of trust that fosters teamwork and the continual pursuit of excellence in the provision of care.
1. Integrates the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Nursing Expectations of Performance in all aspects of care delivery and professional practice. (C)
2. Responsible for the administrative functions of Critical Care, Trauma, Neurosciences and Stroke departments; development of budget and effective use of financial resources, marketing of said areas, strategic planning, development of partnerships and relationships to advance the goals of UPDM.
3. Serves as the administrative leader and liaison with all service line physicians, physician partners and activities; assists with the contract preparation, negotiation and execution of physician agreements where applicable; serves as the administrative representative to Medical Staff departments, sections, and committees.
4. Responsible for acquiring and allocating human, material, and financial resources for the functions of the service line.
5. Responsible for clinical services within the service line, including standards of care, staffing plans, evaluation of patient care and services and process improvement.
6. Performs all duties of a manager to the leadership of the individual departments including setting goals and objectives, monitoring progress and performance, providing feedback. Leads, manages and supports the leaders of these departments.
7. Actively identifies and mentors new and existing leaders to promote successful succession planning within the departments.
8. Aligns and standardizes care delivery across the three campuses, at the same time honoring the differences in patients served on each campus.
9. Collaborates with leadership of other service lines to enhance patient flow and coordination of care between departments.
10. Collaborates with leadership of other service lines to assure service line is in compliance with guidelines for specialty designations that set UPDM apart from other providers in the area. This may include Trauma Center designation, Chest Pain designation, Primary Stroke designation, etc.
11. Evaluates current evidence and outcomes data to influence change in regard to operational processes, procedures and systems.
12. Promotes a culture of safety by making patient and workplace safety is a priority. Designs and upholds standards that support patient and employee safety. Encourages the reporting of unsafe practices.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of current reimbursement systems and payer sources when evaluating the efficiency of the patient’s visit. (C)
14. Demonstrates innovation in care delivery and care coordination. (C)
15. This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UPH-DM Hospital Emergency Incident Command System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
MSN (or other healthcare related field)
Five years progressively more responsible management positions in hospital, outpatient, or clinical environment. Has demonstrated excellent results in improving outcomes. Must have demonstrated experience as an excellent communicator, manager, and developer of people and programs.
Must hold a current licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Iowa.
Professional certification in a specialty applicable to the position is preferred.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.