ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The associate is aware of hospital and department compliance for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
- Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
- Successfully completes hospital-wide orientation, annual hospital competencies and department/unit specific competencies.
- For the safety of our patients and co-workers, St. Luke’s Hospital requires seasonal and job related vaccinations. This is reviewed regularly during periodic health assessments.
Performs patient care functions as required.
- Contributes to the admission assessment process by collecting, reporting and recording objective and subjective data in an accurate and timely manner. Data collection includes:
- Observation of patient
- Noting change in condition
- Signs and symptoms of deviation from normal health status
Informs assigned RN of any changes in patient condition in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with the RN and other healthcare team members to communicate progress towards agreed upon goal of care. Assists in updating the plan and goals of care to reflect changes in needs, under the direction of the RN.
- Assists in the identification of appropriate patient care interventions to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conducive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
- Assists the healthcare team to achieve the patient care outcomes and goals of care.
- May receive telephone, verbal and written physician orders and process per hospital policy. May implement orders following RN acknowledgement.
- Integrates multidisciplinary approach to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conductive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
- Collaborates with healthcare team to provide patient care.
- Consults with RN and/or other healthcare team members, as appropriate.
- Obtains instruction and supervision, as necessary, when implementing new or unfamiliar nursing practices or techniques.
- Shall have knowledge and understanding of the laws governing licensure and function within the legal boundaries of their discipline.
- Complies with established department routines, policies and procedures.
- Administers medications, including IV fluids, and performs tasks within scope of practice. Refer to specific department job description addendum and LPN Scope of Practice listing.
Participates in care coordination of the patient across the continuum.
- Focuses plan of care on patient-centric goals.
- Focuses on patients’ care needs across all sites of care.
- Collaborates with the patient/family to anticipate steps needed to ensure safe transitions in care.
Demonstrates effective communication and safe hand-offs.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills with patients, families, healthcare team members and other customers. Verbal communication is clear and precise. Written communication is legible, if handwritten, and done in a timely manner using approved abbreviations.
- Real-time EMR documentation is done in accordance with hospital and unit policies.
- Multidisciplinary patient charting is completed in real-time to assure that goals of care and patient outcomes are being achieved.
- Hand-offs are done with attention to detail and with safety as a high priority. Hand-offs are utilized to communicate patient treatment and assessment information, patient education needs, goals of care and other quality care measures at each change of caregiver or setting of care.
- Tools are consistently utilized for hand-offs to assure that critical information is shared and updated with each hand-off.
- Communication with providers occurs during routine rounding and as needed.
Supports evidence-based clinical practice.
- Complies with changes in clinical practice and standards.
- Participates in data collection when the opportunity is presented.
Provides educational opportunities for patients, families, and other healthcare team members under the direction of the RN, utilizing health literacy principles.
- Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the hospitalization, including the overview of the plan and goals of care, pre- and post-operative procedures, diagnostic procedures and discharge teaching.
- Integrates preventative health maintenance into the education plan.
- Provides discharge instructions following review and signature of the RN.
- Uses principles of health literacy.
- Utilizes evidenced based models of learning.
Assumes accountability for own competence, clinical performance and professional growth.
- Participates in mandatory education and department staff meetings, per established guidelines.
- Participates in shared governance and performance improvement activities at the department and/or organization level.
- Maintains safety through use of established infection prevention principles, safe patient handling programs, and speak up culture.
- Continually maintains and strives to enhance personal technical and clinical competence in all job related duties.
- Participates in appropriate professional organizations.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary to meet the hospital’s mission, to give the healthcare we’d like our loved ones to receive.