Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time” through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation’s fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You'll find opportunities for every sized dream.
Outpatient Clinical Registrar(candidate must have Phlebotomy experience)
Location: Methodist Campus
Shift: Full time/40 hrs per week/ Mon-Fri 7:30a-4pm or 8:30A-5pm
Working in the Outpatient Lab, MDC, and at Northside, this position is responsible for patient registration, cash collections, and performing certain diagnostic testing. Promote excellent customer service. Other duties as assigned.
Collects copays and deductibles from patients using scripting provided and in accordance with department policy and EMTALA guidelines.
1. Consistently collects and issues receipts for all patients.
2. Ensures accurate account numbers are listed with every payment accepted.
3. Accurately labels receipt envelopes.
4. Ensures safe keeping of all cash, checks and charges received.
5. Refers patients to the Financial Counselor when financial arrangements need to be made.
6. Determines any outstanding balances from past visits.
7. Properly processes all credit card payments.
8. Consistently meets all collection goals determined by the department.
Ensures the timely and accurate registration of patients by obtaining and processing demographic, financial, and clinical information in an efficient and professional manner.
1. Greets patients and visitors in an appropriate and courteous manner, determining their need for assistance including directions and escort or transport.
2. Determines the type of service the patient is to receive by reviewing physician orders, the outpatient services form, and the alphabetical patient listing and/or by questioning the patient.
3. Responsible for explaining and obtaining signatures on Consent for Treatment, Patient Financial Agreement, Privacy Notice (HIPAA) and Advanced Beneficiary Notice.
4. Provides information to the patient/representative about billing, complaint process, Patient Rights and Charity Care application.
5. Accurately completes the Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) questionnaire.
6. Correctly identifies and maintains competency on insurance plans from a matrix of over 125 contracts.
7. Refers the patient to the Scheduling Call Center, if required.
8. Escorts or transports patients and their belongings to their designated areas—ancillary departments and outpatient areas, as warranted.
9. Obtains necessary registration, medical, financial, and demographic information from Pre-Registrations, Inpatients, Outpatients, Offsite registrations.
10. Consistently process and enters all eligibility responses in STAR.
11. Accurately scans all required documents including driver’s license and insurance cards.
12. Provides assistance in the collection of self-pay portion payments at the time of registration.
13. Identify those patients needing financial counseling referrals.
Obtains Requested Blood Samples For Laboratory Testing, Obtains And Performs Requested Ecg's, Utilizing Accepted And Established Procedures That Ensure Quality And Reliable Results, And In Such A Manner That Testing Is Performed In A Timely, Efficient Manner.
1. Identifies patients using proper procedures prior to specimen collection.
2. Obtains physician requested blood samples by using established procedures for venipuncture and micro puncture techniques.
3. Collects quality specimens as assessed by low rejection rate.
4. Follow MMCI safety policies.
5. Verifies specimen requirements or handling prior to collection if unfamiliar with test name.
6. Accepts responsibility for the performance of point of care waived testing and thus must be familiar with the application and performance of quality control for their procedures.
7. Performs test procedures with care and accuracy.
8. Ensures quality of work by performing QC at required intervals, performing calibrations and footnoting QC following calibration, investigating cause of out-of-control QC and resolves before testing is resumed. Ensures that outdated materials (kits, QC, or reagents) are not used; uses oldest outdated first.
9. Enters data results properly and carefully, including required notification and documentation.
10. Understands the immediacy of the testing order and prioritize their work appropriately in order to provide timely collection of these orders.
11. Obtains specimens from patients in many different settings, properly labeled and identified.
12. Understands the PathNet LIS in order to request tests, procure labels, look up results, and perform other required tasks.
13. Practices proper infection control techniques in the collection and handling of specimens, and in the proper and safe handling of chemicals and reagents.
14. Wears gloves for all phlebotomy procedures; does not recap needles; complies with all rules for disposal of bio-hazardous materials.
15. Checks the ECG machines daily to ensure their proper working condition, cleanliness and the availability of supplies.
16. Accurately enters patient information and correct ID numbers into the ECG machine.
17. Ensures proper lead placement of electrodes to the ECG machine to obtain a high quality tracing.
18. Assists in the ECG procedure, 12 Lead procedures and the Rhythm Strip testing when requested by the physician and also assists in other special procedures.
19. Monitors and records quality control prior to the processing of patient specimens.
20. Performs lab testing as appropriate
Performs Various Clerical Processes, Including Entering Charges, Pre-Registration, Performing Transport/Courier Service And Other Cross Training Functions Of The Department, And Assists Ancillary Staff As Required.
1. Enters accurate outpatient ancillary department charges, and test requisitions, making adjustments as needed.
2. Properly assembles all paperwork and delivers to proper area.
3. Pre-registers patients from a previous history in the Medical Center computer system.
4. Interviews patient's via telephone and records necessary information in the computer system.
5. Completes necessary forms required by facility and/or legal guidelines.
6. Prepares a file on each pre-registration ensuring that all components are included.
7. Prepares special reports as directed by the Patient Registration Coordinator/Manager.
8. Performs services and other assigned duties in a proficient manner to ensure quality service.
1. High School Diploma in the field(s) of Preferred
1. 1-3 years of experience in/with Medical Terminology, up front collections with a variety of payment methods, obtaining and entering accurate insurance information, customer service in registration systems, Medicare/Medicaid and other payers, determining co-pay/deductible and their collections in Admitting, hospital patient registration, explaining payment options to the patient, state and federal requirements for worker compensation laws, state laws involved with public liability incidents, order entry Laboratory and Medical Imaging, ability to perform phlebotomy, collect and label specimens and EKG preferred.
2. Experience in/with phlebotomy Required.