The Surgical Technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. He/she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
UnityPoint Health - Trinity, in the Quad Cities, is a regional integrated health care delivery system including four full-service hospitals in Rock Island and Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf and Muscatine, Iowa with a total of 584 licensed inpatient beds. Trinity’s hospitals, clinics, home health care agency, mental health center, health sciences college and residency program employ more than 3,000 employees. Together, we are working toward physician-driven, patient-centered care to achieve our vision of delivering the best outcome for every patient, every time.
The Quad Cities is a connected, creative and prosperous bi-state community on the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. The region is made up of Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa - Moline, East Moline, and Rock island in Illinois - and other surrounding communities. The Quad Cities is a great place to live and work. It offers something for everyone including arts and culture, amazing festivals and events, innovative and superior schools and universities, and quality healthcare. The Quad Cities is a premier destination for young professionals and families and sits only hours away from Chicago, St. Louis, and Des Moines.
TECHNICAL/ADMINISTRATIVE/CLINICAL: Demonstrates competence in the skills, (processes, procedures, and equipment) necessary to carry out assigned duties as identified below. Demonstrated competence in recognizing and responding to patients physical, mental, emotional and developmental needs should be evaluated in relation to the patient populations served as appropriate for each responsibility.
A. Applies the steps of the problem solving process to assist the circulating nurse in the delivery of nursing care to the surgical patient.
1. Donning OR Attire and personal protective equipment (PPE)
2. Gathers, checks and opens supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure.
3. Performs surgical scrub, and donning gown and gloves.
4. Sets up sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment and medication/solutions needed for procedure.
5. Performs initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator.
6. Assists the team members with gowning and gloving.
7. Assists with draping the patient and establishing a sterile field.
8. Participates in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure
9. Prepares and anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment, and supplies for usage during the procedure.
10. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and supplies to surgeon during procedures
11. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
12. Performs additional counts as necessary.
13. Prepares sterile dressings and or immobilization devices.
14. Prepares and passes off specimens as appropriate.
15. Monitors the comfort of the patient and provides verbal and tactile reassurance to the patient.
16. Assists the anesthesia provider.
17. Assists with positioning the patient, using appropriate equipment and anatomical principles to avoid patient injury.
18. Assists with applying tourniquets and monitors before the procedure begins.
19. Anticipates additional supplies needed during the procedure.
20. Keeps accurate records throughout the procedure.
21. Properly cares for specimens.
22. Updates and keeps accurate records of the surgeons preference.
23. Helps to cleans OR suites in between surgical procedures and puts away surgical supplies and equipment.
24. Counts sponges, sharps and instruments according to policy.
25. Treats patients/families with dignity and respect.
26. Maintains an effective working relationship within this department, with other departments, surgeons and vendors.
27. Assists with case charges.
28. Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business and directs appropriately.
29. Responsible for reporting non-compliance issues to Compliance Officer.
30. Manages/operates equipment safely and correctly.
31. On-call responsibility with 20-minute response time.
B. Meets educational requirements per policy
EDUCATION, TRAINING, & EXPERIENCE: Graduate of an accredited school of surgical technology, or Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse with equitable experience with documentation of similar training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED: Thorough knowledge of surgical asepsis and infection control; knowledge of surgical terminology. Must be able to respond to emergency situations appropriately. Must be able to interact with all members of the surgical team. Knowledge of laser safety.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, & CERTIFICATIONS: BCLS, Mandatory Reporting, ability to sit for surgical technologist certification