Certified Medical Assistant
Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8a-5p, & Thursday 8a-2p
West Des Moines Lakeview Internal Medicine
FULL TIME BENEFITS
Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information preparing patient for examination, treatment and minor surgical procedures. Responsible for tracking system for follow-up appointments related to office visits, laboratory tests and procedures to regularly follow patients monitoring disease status. Schedule referrals for patients with specialist or outpatient as requested by the provider. Complete appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or lab testing, including appropriate CPT/ICD-10 coding. Answer questions and provide teaching to patients and family members.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information preparing patient for examination, treatment and minor surgical procedures.
· Demonstrates competence in the clinical skills necessary to carry out assigned job duties.
· Responsible for tracking system for follow-up appointments related to office visits, laboratory tests and procedures to regularly follow patients monitoring disease status.
· Schedule referrals for patients with specialist or outpatient as requested by the provider. Complete appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or lab testing, including appropriate CPT/ICD-10 coding.
· Provide appropriate and timely documentation in the patient’s electronic health record using standardized workflows and processes.
Development and Patient Education
· Answer questions and provide teaching to patients and family members.
· Thoroughly understand testing (lab and procedures) values and relationship to patient status with accountability to take next steps, as appropriate to scope and licensure.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of an accredited program for Medical Assistants.
· High school diploma required if work is performed in a moderately complex CLIA lab.
· Computer data entry experience.
· Previous clinical experience in a medical office preferred.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Current CME certification for Certified Medical Assistant and AAMA certification.
· Mandatory Reporter certification.
· CPR certification
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
· Customer/patient focused
· Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.