Under the supervision of the Executive Chef, this position is responsible for production of high quality meals for clients. Maintaining an above standard approach to kitchen cleanliness and hygiene, and providing a welcome environment for clients and staff. Assists Executive Chef in testing and development of specific recipes. This includes responsibility to determine quantities of food necessary for client population and ability to adjust recipes as needed. Responsible for storage of perishable foods and avoidance of unnecessary waste. Responsible for cleaning and maintenance of all aspects within the kitchen including dish washing.
Creation, Maintenance, and Delivery of Healthy Menu Plans
· Prepares nutritious and well-balanced meals in accordance with menu plan for all clients.
· Adjusts recipes in accordance with center’s client volumes to avoid excessive left-overs and/or unnecessary waste.
· Adherence to specific dietary restrictions and individual needs
· Checks temperature, taste and appearance of all food before serving.
· Responsible for storage of perishable foods, use of leftover foods and avoidance of unnecessary waste.
· Delivers finished foods to service areas; follows established procedures/protocol for planning, plating, presentation and service of food.
· Maintains high standards of sanitation in food production and service.
· Adheres to policies/procedures for all aspects of food creation, including and not limited to scheduled maintenance and cleaning of kitchen equipment, such as commercial dishwasher, cooktop and ovens, and ensuring the cleanliness of dishes and any utensils.
Purchasing and Storage of food items
· Assist in rotating supplies to minimize spoilage and waste.
· Promptly communicate shortages of inventory to ensure sufficient stock on hand of food supplies.
· Promptly communicate any problems encountered with kitchen equipment and appliances.
· Assist Executive Chef in managing the return of damaged items delivered by vendors.
· Follows protocols/procedures & policies necessary to ensure food health safety for this site. Responsibility to clean and sanitize kitchen area, food storage, dishes, pots/pans and utensils.
· Prepares and submits reports (internal & external) as directed.
· Participates in any quality assurance program and seeks to continuously improve the food program within fiscal and departmental parameters
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Post-secondary educational courses in a Culinary Arts program
Minimum of 2 years in the culinary field
Modified diet cooking desirable
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
State food service sanitation license REQUIRED and maintained within 6 months of hire.
· Ability to work independently with little supervision while utilizing established menus. (This is a part-time weekend position.)
· Ability to pick up additional shifts as volume dictates and to cover for Executive Chef during absences.
· Complete knowledge of proper food storage, hygiene, and food preparation
· Experience creating nutritional, balanced, and creative meals
· Ability to work with a diverse population of clients
· Must speak and understand English.
· Ability to read, write and follow oral and written instructions.
· Numerical ability to calculate recipe changes.
· Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.