The Nurse Manager II provides leadership to an engaged nursing team on Younker 7 a 22 bed medical unit with a patient population of GI related diagnoses, and Younker 8 a 23 bed medical unit with patient population primarily with pulmonary diagnoses at Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
The manager is responsible for creating safe, healthy environments that support the work of the health care team and contribute to patient engagement. The manager assists in creating a professional environment where team members are able to contribute to optimal patient outcomes and grow professionally.
% of Time
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
1. Leading People
a) Establishes an environmental culture for retention as evidenced by results of employee engagement surveys and workforce data. Utilizes survey data to make improvements in the work environment based on employee feedback.
b) Establishes a culture of trust with employees through employee rounding and timely, effective coaching and performance management. Helps team members set goals to optimize personal and departmental performance.
c) Supports and continually develops shared governance structure in the department and at the organizational level. Serves as a role model to staff and peers in supporting the strategies and tactics of the nursing enterprise.
d) Facilitates discussion on career planning and personal development with all staff. Works collaboratively with staff to create and execute a personal development plans as a retention strategy
Serves as a mentor and role model for staff, students and colleagues.
e) Maintains a just culture.
f) Recognizes that differences among team members strengthens the team and is able to facilitate that growth; acknowledges the importance of cultural competence in the workforce.
2. Self- Reflection and Personal Leadership Development
a) Demonstrates emotional intelligence and applies that knowledge in day to day leadership activities.
b) Adept in skills required to effectively lead a team including conflict management, change management, negotiation, and mediation.
c) Communicates effectively and respectfully by verbalizing thoughts directly, taking time to listen and validating feedback.
d) Facilitates team conversations that allow for individual participation and contribution of all members.
e) Seeks to understand and collaborate with other departments to assure safe and quality care while assuring customer satisfaction
f) Remains up to date on issues and trends in nursing and healthcare to continually elevate professional practice in the department and organization.
-Contributes to overall organizational performance by participating on committees and task forces to advance the performance of nursing and/or the organization.
-Utilizes feedback from others to improve one’s own professional performance in the role.
-Models professional activities such as continuing education, participation in professional organizations, certification, evidence-based practice, book or journal clubs, etc.,
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Ability to work independently and assume responsibility for timely completion of assigned functions
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UPHDM Hospital Emergency Incident Command System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Master’s Degree Required; qualified candidates with a Bachelor’s degree are eligible but must submit an action plan
upon hire. Master’s to be completed within 3 years.
Completion of basic UPHDM Leadership courses within one year.
Two or more years of progressing leadership positions in the healthcare environment.
Current Iowa License to practice as a Registered Nurse
BCLS within 90 days
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Certification in related specialty preferred.
Must be able to communicate effectively with people of diverse professional educational and lifestyle backgrounds.
Knowledge of basic computer skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.