Performs Patient Care Activities as delegated by the Nurse utilizing applicable policies and procedures to ensure patient needs and expectations are met.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in applicable procedures in providing care.
- Provides for hygiene needs of patients (AM/PM care, oral hygiene and denture care, perineal care, shampoo, bathing, shaving, care of TED, SCD hose.)
- Provides for nutritional needs of patients. (Tray distribution, setting up trays, offering supplements, feeding, and recording intake.)
- Provides for elimination needs of patient. (Foley care, bowel movements, bladder training, enemas, and external catheters; records output.)
- Provides for skin care of patients. (turning, positioning, recognition and prevention of skin breakdown, operation of special beds, nail care, and back rubs.)
- Provides for comfort measures (Proper positioning, back rubs, oral care, wrinkle free bed sheets and ensuring that bedside table, water pitcher, urinal are within reach.)
- Provides for activity needs of patients (i.e. dangling, turning, chair, ambulating, walker, and crutches).
- Performs measurements of patients (I&O, TPR, B/P, weights, abdominal girth, hose measurements).
- Performs additional skills as directed and supervised by the nurse, after training and certification, i.e. intermittent urinary catheterization and clean dressing changes (varies by unit or area).
- Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge of patients.
- Completes assigned aspects of admission process including vital signs, height and weight, room setup, room orientation, assists patient to bed, assures call light available etc.
- Stores and transfers belongings (dentures, hearing aids, glasses and other personal items).
- Packs up all patient belongings at transfer and discharge: Demonstrates ability to anticipate patient needs; Answers all call lights promptly; Respects privacy
- Achieves patient satisfaction when providing patient care.
- Makes PRIDE rounds minimally every two hours to assure that patients are comfortable, positioned properly, call light available, room orderly.
- Reports pertinent patient information to the nurse assigned to the patient in a timely manner.
- Documentation is complete, accurate, and timely.
- Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.
- Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider’s orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
Uses time, supplies, and other resources productively to promote responsive and cost effective care for our patients. Performs unit maintenance duties/errands to ensure a clean, neatly organized, efficiently operating unit.
Assumes personal responsibility for patient, environmental and personal safety.
Provides for safety measures of patients (lift equipment, transfers, side rails, bed checks, call lights, gait belt use, back safety, slide board, use of restraints.)
- Maintains clear hallways and doorways on an ongoing basis.
- Uses protective equipment appropriately.
- Adheres to hand washing policy.
- Practices good body mechanics, getting assistance as needed to protect patient and own safety.
- Promptly reports unsafe equipment
- Alert and responsive to all alarms/call lights.
Through teamwork and effective communication, contributes toward a department environment that promotes customer and employee satisfaction.
- Assists in achieving department goals and objectives.
- Utilizes teamwork effort to maintain positive patient perceptions in the areas of promptness, friendliness, attitude toward calls, took problem seriously, attention to special needs, temperature of foods, noise level, temperature of the room, attitude towards visitors, and concern for privacy.
- Attends educational offerings to validate skills and maintain current knowledge of patient care. Participates in Housewide Unit Councils, Staff Meetings, etc.
- Gives and receives peer evaluation constructively.
- Recognizes unit as three interrelated shifts, supporting changes and assisting with staffing needs.
- Is knowledgeable of Quality Improvement indicators and assists in improvement of patient care.
- Establishes positive working relationships with other hospital personnel.
- Knowledgeable and respectful of the roles that other ancillary department personnel have in delivering patient care.