Regional Director of Hospice
Unity Point at Home
Monday-Friday, Days, Flexible Schedule
This person can sit in: Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Sioux City, Waterloo or Fort Dodge.
This position has responsibility to lead, direct and coordinate clinical, financial and business operations of hospice within specified regions as assigned by VP of Hospice. This position ensures the delivery of high quality, cost effective clinical care for all hospice patients and works in conjunction with regional clinical leaders to facilitate implementation of action plans related to strategies to ensure operational and financial success. Ensures coordinated and harmonious working relationships among assigned departments and between operations and other UPAH departments, other UnityPoint Health affiliates, and the communities served by UPAH.
Key Accountability: Clinical Excellence through Leadership and Team Engagement
· Evaluate current practices of hospice for areas that may need improvement. Make recommendations and oversee implementation of recommendations. Ensure recommendations are executed
· Engage staff and leaders in the means to gain efficiency while improving patient outcomes through innovation.
· Promotes standard practices with protocols, processes, policies and communications within the community of the specialization.
· Researches and presents evidence-based best practices. Behavior and personal practice reflects best practices
· Works with UnityPoint at Home leadership in the development of objectives, standards of care, policies and procedures affecting the programs of the organization.
· Implements UnityPoint at Home standard record systems, statistical reporting systems, and program documentation, planning and evaluation.
· Communicates with Clinical Leadership Team regularly to review service issues and opportunities for improvement to ensure the delivery of high quality service to all internal and external customers.
· Embraces and promotes innovation and transformation, engages hospice leaders in facilitating and adapting to change
· Ensures quality assurance and performance improvement initiatives are appropriate and effective and implemented in each assigned hospice region to ensure high quality performance in areas including, but not limited to patient experience, hospitalization utilization, and patient safety measures.
· Creates and builds engagement of hospice leaders- builds productive relationships that include face to face visits to the various hospice locations as scheduled and on an as needed basis.
· Participates in Clinical Specialty Leadership Team meetings and Hospice Council. Provides experience and insight as appropriate to assist in day to day operational decisions, short term and long term planning.
· Responsible for creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, teamwork and professional practice, consistent with the mission, vision and values of UnityPoint at Home.
Key Accountability: Employee Management
· Provide leadership to ensure effective, efficient office operations, optimizing performance and continually improving quality of care in a vastly changing health care environment.
· Establish effective mechanisms of communication with staff and the management team to foster an environment of openness, trust, teamwork and professional development..
· Provides oversight to UnityPoint at Home clinical programs, risk management and compliance activities as it pertains to his/her service line and the organization.
Key Accountability: Financial Management
· Provide input into corporate direction and long range planning for hospice service line.
· Ensures home care operations are efficient and effective by implementing and monitoring key financial metrics, including but not limited to, productivity, patient volume, referral management and expense management.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, ACHC, CMS, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of Hospice and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of UnityPoint at Home administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.