Choose a career that matters with UnityPoint Health Des Moines! UnityPoint Health - Des Moines is a family of four hospitals including Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist West Hospital. Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve our patients and visitors every day.
Successfully functions as a Registered Nurse as defined in Iowa Nursing Regulations and Practice Act. Provides nursing care for patients and families and maintains a practice environment that reflects the ANA Code for Nurses, Philosophy of Nursing at UnityPoint Health Des Moines within the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model and in collaboration with other care givers. Successful performance contributes to a holistic approach to the delivery of services, quality patient/family care, and a high level of satisfaction from patients and families.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgement, and maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
· Assesses needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Continues professional development by involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Utilizes a holistic approach (considering bio-psychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare providers and holding them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
· Consistently delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies and procedures and standards of care.
· Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Integrates and demonstrates CORE values and Expectations for Personal and Service Excellence to guide professional behaviors, while adhering to the policies and procedures of UPHDM. Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own interests.
· Demonstrates the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Graduate of accredited nursing program.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
One year nursing experience required.
Pediatric nursing experience preferred.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in Iowa.