UnityPoint Health - Methodist | Proctor | The Point of Unity is You.
UnityPoint Health is one of the nation's most integrated health systems. We have a vision for healthcare, and it starts with you: "Best outcome for every patient, every time."
Through relationships with more than 280 physician clinics, 29 hospitals in metropolitan and rural communities, and home care services throughout its 8 regions, UnityPoint Health provides care throughout Illinois and Iowa.
We surround you with care that is coordinated between your doctor's office, hospital and in your home.
With almost 600 board-certified physicians backed by a dedicated team of healthcare professionals who combine high-tech medicine with genuine warmth and caring, UnityPoint Health - Methodist provides coordinated clinic, hospital and home-based care for patients in Central Illinois.
UnityPoint Health-Methodist Campus
Shift: Full-time /36 hrs per week 7P-7A
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional nursing knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients through the application of the nursing process.
CLINICAL EXCELLENCE FOCUS: Promotes the use of evidence based practice through the nursing process, protocols and procedures.
1. Assesses patient's status through interview, observation and physical assessment of actual problems and outcomes
2. Develops an individualized plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
3. Uses appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to achieve expected patient outcomes
4. Systematically evaluates and documents patient's progress toward expected outcomes/goals on an ongoing basis throughout the shift
5. Modifies plan of care based on evaluation
6. Completes required documentation as appropriate, including patient chart and event reports
7. Demonstrates professional accountability for own practice as evidenced through seeking resources and continuing self-development
8. Demonstrates technical knowledge of equipment and troubleshoots when problems arise
9. Acquires and maintains current knowledge and skills in evidence based nursing practice
10. Promotes the professional development of self and team members
11. Shares clinical knowledge through normal teaching and in response to the learning needs of others
12. Demonstrates a practical problem solving approach to patient moving and handling issues (as applicable)
13. Demonstrates skills to promote patient and staff safety through appropriate use of lift equipment (as applicable)
14. Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.
15. Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider’s orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
PATIENT EDUCATION FOCUS: Assesses and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient's/family's age specific needs.
1. Adapts teaching strategies based on patient's response, readiness to learn and level of comprehension
2. Takes cultural, age-specific, gender, and developmental factors into consideration when teaching patients about procedures, illness, hospital experience, etc.
3. Ensures patient safety in the hospital environment by following policy/procedures and adhering to National Patient Safety Goals
4. Demonstrates a practical problem solving approach to patient moving and handling issues (as applicable)
5. Demonstrates skills to promote patient and staff safety through appropriate use of lift equipment (as applicable)
6. Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education
7. Utilizes SVI patient education system as a resource for patients and family members
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT FOCUS: Actively participates in data collection, analysis, problem solving and gives input on process improvements and patient satisfaction.
1. Assures that the care provided is consistent with standards of care, evidence based practices, national patient safety goals, core measures and other quality initiatives undertaken by the unit/hospital
2. Works with interdisciplinary team in identifying opportunities for improvement in patient care and patient/family satisfaction
3. Actively promotes and achieves customer satisfaction (patient, family, departments, physicians)
4. Participates in the implementation of Performance Improvement initiatives
5. Promptly and efficiently follows up on patient/family requests/needs - anticipates patient/family needs
6. Encourages coworkers in achieving excellent customer satisfaction; utilizes organizational service excellence standards
7. Serves on unit based councils
8. Identifies practice problems on the unit
9. Implements changes in own clinical practice based on literature and unit process improvement outcomes
10. Works on assigned projects, data collection, audits as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & CULTURE FOCUS: Coordinates the interdisciplinary care of the patient through collaboration with team members and utilizes additional resources when necessary
1. Analyzes clinical situations in a systematic way and acts to obtain resources or correct problems to meet or exceed expected outcomes or patient needs
2. Recognizes need for assistance and utilizes resources, including physician and nurse to nurse (UAT) consultation in a timely manner
3. Demonstrates ownership and persistence to ensure problem is resolved in best way possible.
4. Able to assume assignment of non-complex and some complex patient management with some turnover in assignment
5. Consistently prioritizes work based on changes in patient condition, changes in assignment and unanticipated interruptions
6. Identifies and utilizes team resources to solve identified problems or needs
7. Collaborates with the health care team in the organization of tasks and activities for the patient's care from admission to discharge according to the plan of care and to meet identified expected outcomes
8. Works with other team members in delegating tasks and activities appropriately
9. Provides goal-focused shift report
10. Advocates with physicians on patient's behalf when necessary
11. Utilizes communication and teamwork strategies aimed at promoting high team performance and achieving optimal patient outcomes and unit productivity
12. Chooses an appropriate and meaningful communication style when interacting with others: gives and accepts constructive feedback to/from peers.
13. Performs lab testing as applicable
14. Be available to be assigned on-call hours outside of scheduled work-hours, which include after-hours, weekends and holidays. And if contacted while on-call, respond in the time frame as defined by the needs of the department, if necessary.
1. Bachelor's degree in nursing preferred
2. Individuals hired after August 1, 2013 must obtain a BSN by 2020
1. Valdi CPR required prior to start date
2. Registered Nurse in the state of IL
1. 2+ years experience working as a Registered Nurse