Under the general supervision of the Manager of the Sleep Clinic, technologist performs quality polysomnography testing pursuant to the Sleep Center and other appropriate procedures as needed.
TECHNICAL/ADMINISTRATIVE/CLINICAL: (Total Weight of 50) Demonstrates competence in the skills, (processes, procedures, and equipment) necessary to carry out assigned duties as identified below. Demonstrated competence in recognizing and responding to patient’s physical, mental, emotional and developmental needs should be evaluated in relation to the patient populations served as appropriate for each responsibility.
A. Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Interviews patient/family member to obtain accurate demographic data.
2. Obtains signatures from patient or family member on all forms pertinent to the patient’s visit. Answers questions that patients or family members may have about the registration process and provides information as needed.
3. Ensures that medical necessity has been established (for Medicare outpatients) or that the patient signs waiver for non-covered services.
4. Understands and follows policies and procedures that affect registration services relating to HIPAA regulations.
5. Has good working knowledge of the computer system as it pertains to proper patient registration.
6. Collects and reviews data related to physiological/psychological status of the patient.
7. Verifies procedure
8. Assess physical status and pschyological response
9. Explains equipment and procedure to patient, provides comfort as needed
10. Obtain pertinent clinical from the patient and others.
11. Demonstrates excellent command of electroencephalograp electromyographic, electrocardiograms, electro-oculograms, respiratory and oximetry patterns with the ability to evaluate normal and abnormal patterns common to each physiologic parameter.
12. Maintains, cleans, calibrates, and troubleshoots the equipment to enhance the operation of each instrument.
13. Documents accuracy in the performance of technical analysis (scoring) of routine, intermediate, and advanced level sleep disorder laboratory procedures by manual assessment as well as computer analysis.
14. Demonstrates competency in the following procedures, Polysomnography, baseline, split-night and PAP titration, MSLT, and MWT. Has the basic knowledge of the following disorders but is not limited to, sleep apnea, hypopnea, respiratory effort related arousal, and sleep physiology examinations, narcolepsy, hypersomnolence, parasomnias, seizures, gastric reflux, continuous and bi-level positive airway pressure examinations, insomnia, hypersomnia, parasomnia versus apnea, seizures versus apnea, and documentation of events.
15. Participates in peer review chart studies
16. Provides patient and family education regarding use of PAP equipment and accessories.
17. Administers supplemental O2 in accordance to physician orders.
18. Accepts assignment to a different unit and/or shift on a temporarybasis as hospital needs require.
19. Performs other duties as necessary to maintain the efficient function of the department and any additional related duties as directed by the manager.
20. Demonstrates the minimum knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to provide care, based on the physical, psycho/social, educational, safety, and related criteria, identified below appropriate to the age of patients served in the following age groups:
e. Knowledge of growth and development for all groups
f. Ability to assess and interpret age specific data and to deliver appropriate care.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE: Registered or registry eligible Respiratory Therapists or Neurodiagnostics Technologist. Specialized training in polysomnographic testing or willing to attend a course in polysomnography testing may be required. Prefer Registered Technologist or therapist with 2 to 3 years’ experience in all phases of polysomnographic testing.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES & SKILLS: Must be able to communicate and listen effectively. A strong level of analytical ability is required perform a wide range of testing and operating technical equipment. Must be able to:
1. Maintain concentration over long testing periods while paying particular attention to minute details.
2. Be capable of working a flexible schedule and available for all three shifts.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS: