Provides staffing support to adult, inpatient medical-surgical and telemetry nursing units throughout UnityPoint Health – Des Moines during times of vacancy, high acuity, and census variations. Further cross-training available to those employees interested in Outpatient Surgery, Endoscopy, Maternity, and the Wound Center.
Functions in accordance with the Iowa Standards of Practice for Registered Nurses (Iowa Administrative Code 655, Chapter 6, & 6.2) and the American Nurses Association (ANA) Scope and Standards of Practice (ANA, 2010).
• Provides and coordinates nursing care to patients utilizing the nursing process.
• Completes documentation to assure an accurate record of patient’s care.
• Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
• Collaborates with physicians and other professionals in planning and implementing care within hospital policy and legal limitations.
• Assesses needs of patients and families, provides appropriate teaching to facilitate discharge planning, and makes the necessary referrals to community agencies to provide continuity of care.
• Demonstrates professional development by keeping abreast of current nursing practice and healthcare trends.
• Utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, psych/social, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area.
• Delegates patient care based on clinical assessment and within scope of practice.
• Demonstrates the ability to consistently meet the department work schedule.
• Consistently delivers high quality care demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies and procedures and standards of care.
• Demonstrates initiative to improve quality of care, patient and employee safety, and customer service.
• Balances team and individual responsibilities, participates in peer review, seeks involvement in organizational initiatives and committees.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or IA Board of Nursing approved nursing program. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is preferred.
Qualifications: Current active Iowa License to practice as a RN. Department of Labor Level III (Medium) Work. Candidates must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment strength and agility test at Medium Level of Work.
***PLEASE NOTE: All newly licensed RNs with less than six months of acute RN experience and who are interested in this department are required to participate in the RN Residency program. Newly licensed nurses must apply for the Registered Nurse Residency position.