$5,000 Sign on Bonus - 1 year
Position: LPN Emergency Room
Location: Methodist Hospital
Hours: 36 hours per week, every other weekend, every other holiday
Reports to the Nurse Manager and according to department policies, nursing care standards and professional licensure; functions as a member of the patient care team to provide professional nursing care services to patients with a wide variety of medical and surgical conditions that are admitted/transferred to the Unit.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org
Performs direct patient care.
· Conducts patient assessment obtaining appropriate history, physical and complaint data. Analyzes assessment data and observes patient’s condition. Evaluates patient for age appropriate behavior, motor skills and physiologic norms. Conveys pertinent information to RN or physician.
· Demonstrates accuracy and efficiency when preparing injections, diagnostic procedures and therapeutic treatments as instructed by the physician for assessments and treatments completed in the department.
· Displays compassion and patience when administering patient assessments, procedures, treatments, patient instruction and education.
· Utilizes skills and expertise to serve as a partner with nurse and physician to augment patient care, patient flow and physician productivity.
· Responds appropriately when alarms sound; silences alarms only as necessary for patient care and returns to audible when done.
Performs indirect patient care.
· Recognizes abnormal lab and other clinical values and calls to attention of physician as soon as possible.
· Maintains adequate daily stock of sterile instruments, clinical supplies, forms, meds, and educational materials in exam rooms and nursing area.
· Accurately and thoroughly completes lab requisitions and labeling of specimens. Properly packages specimens and assures transfer to lab in a timely fashion.
· Maintains complete and accurate patient chart with up-to-date and correct medication list.
Demonstrates a thorough understanding and working knowledge of all equipment necessary to perform job functions. Performs and documents special procedures per policy:
· application of heat/cold
· decubitus care
· pelvic exam setup
· I & D setup
· surgical skin prep
· apply ace/TEDS/binders
· apply/remove leads
· assist coughing & deep breathing
· assist with physical exam
· oral suctioning
· nasopharyngeal suctioning
· maintain and clean suction equipment
· application of hypo/hyperthermia unit
· care of oxygen equipment.
· room set-up for trauma
· suture set-up
· moderate sedation set-up
· patient prep for any procedure
· Demonstrates a practical problem solving approach to patient moving and handling issues.
Demonstrates skills to promote patient and staff safety through appropriate use of lift equipment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited technical school in the field of licensed practical nursing.
Emergency Department experience
Current licensure in good standing as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Illinois.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire/start date.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.