Elementary School RN
Temporary - Full-Time
Public Health Program
This position will specifically focus on direct patient care and care coordination within the local community school district, on site at the school. The public health nurse may also provide community education on public health issues as needed/appropriate. May be called to support work directly in the areas of communicable diseases, environmental illnesses, chronic diseases, wellness, maternal health, immunization, child health, family planning, and community education.
Community Health & Education
• Provides demonstrated understanding of health, wellness, growth and development of specified populations.
• Collaborates in the development and delivery of programs and activities for individuals, families and population groups that promote health and prevent disease in settings including, but not limited to all health department service settings, client homes, community organizations and businesses, schools, and the community in general.
• Follows established record policies and procedures as well as the State and Federal laws that govern the release of health care information are followed.
• Participates in response teams to prevent, minimize, and contain adverse health events and conditions resulting from communicable disease; food-, water-, and vector-borne outbreaks; chronic diseases; environmental hazards; injuries; and health disparities
• Incorporates ethical standard of practice into all interactions with individuals, organizations, and communities.
• Contributes to development of a vision for a healthy community.
• Participates in community coalitions specifically to meet an identified health education and/or population health need in the community.
• Delivers targeted, culturally-appropriate information to help individuals and groups understand school and/or local public health policies, regulations, and code.
• Utilizes appropriate methods for interacting effectively and professionally with persons of all ages and from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educations, racial, and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, lifestyles, and physical abilities.
• Adheres to ethical principles and policies in the collection, maintenance, use, and dissemination of data and information.
• Communicates information to influence behavior and improve health, including developing individual health plans.
• Accurate patient data collection and entry within paper chart and/or electronic medical records system
• Uses information technology in accessing, collecting, analyzing, using, maintaining, and disseminating data and information
• May assist on providing quality control review of patient/billing information on peers. May assist on quality audits related to immunizations with external organizations.
• May assist to check vaccine freezer, log temperatures, confirm proper function of freezer is within regulation.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
• Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
• Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
• Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
• Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
• Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
• Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse.
Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
- Current licensing for Nursing in the state of Iowa.
- RN Appropriate credentials from the state of Iowa to work in an Iowa public school district.
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing.
- 2+ years’ experience in nursing preferred.
- Preferred experience in pediatric services or a school setting.
- Current license to practice nursing in Iowa.
- Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
- CPR Certified
- Demonstrated organization, communication, and documentation skills required.