Behavioral Health Therapist-UnityPlace
Methodist Hospital-Adult Psych
1st shift as needed
To aid the interdisciplinary team in the assessment, treatment planning, psychotherapy/counseling, and discharge planning for patients on the inpatient behavioral health units.
About UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace:
UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace is proud to offer the most comprehensive addiction and mental health services in the Peoria, Illinois region to you and your family. UnityPlace was formed by the joining of UnityPoint Health®, Human Service Center and Tazwood Center for Wellness in April of 2019. UnityPlace is a new non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the growing behavioral health care needs of the community. Our compassionate and committed treatment team is comprised of many experts from psychiatry and addiction medicine.
Our goal is to deliver comprehensive behavioral healthcare to optimize the patient's well-being. It is our privilege to partner with our patients on their journey of healing.
As a member of the UnityPlace Team, our team members are eligible for a benefits package including:
Additional benefits are available, apply today to discuss our full benefits package!
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org.
Provides individual and group therapy/counseling to assist patients in achieving treatment goals.
· Provides individual therapy/counseling to assigned patients as stipulated on their treatment plans
· Provides support, sets limits, and/or facilitates learning from the situation when providing situational interventions with patients (individual/group therapy sessions and situations involving milieu management)
· Facilitates a minimum of one regularly scheduled group process-oriented therapy session/day
· Interventions reflect a knowledge of appropriate behaviors related to specific population (age, diagnosis, etc)
· Group facilitation reflects expertise in group dynamics
· Utilizes Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and other brief therapies
· Provides leadership to content of group as it relates to individual patient needs and current milieu
· Documentation is timely, succinct, legible, uses the DAIR format and reflects impairments, interventions and progress towards treatment goals as established in the individual patient's treatment plan
· Employs CPI methods when assisting as a team member to control an aggressive or violent patient
Completes initial and ongoing assessments of patients.
· Thoroughly completes Initial Assessment (except nursing components) and completes admission note in Integrated Progress Notes
· Documentation is timely, legible and succinct and includes initial clinical impressions of the patient and recommendation for treatment components
· Assists in obtaining collateral information from family, significant others if they are present at time of admission
· Patient is ongoing assessed during informal sessions as well as during formal individual and group therapy sessions
· Documentation of ongoing assessments/individual therapy sessions reflects progress towards goals outlined in treatment planscore: N/A
Collaborates with other members of the treatment team in the development and implementation of an individualized treatment plan and assists in the Behavioral Health Clinician's absence.
· Completes, reviews and updates treatment plans on assigned patients
· Participates in or provides input for interdisciplinary clinical staffing as well as community, return to work, discharge, and school staffing
· Participation reflects knowledge of the patient's strengths, illness, support systems, and history
· Proactively meets with other members of the treatment team on a daily basis to assist in the coordination of care and discharge planning
· Collaborates with Behavioral Health Clinician, especially in matters related to family issues and addresses family issues as they impact the patient
· Assists the Behavioral Health Clinician in the absence of another BHC; assisting in guardianship issues, filing petitions/certificates with the court, discharge planning and providing support/intervention with patients' families as necessary
· Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the Mental Health Code, the Confidentiality Act, The Mental Health Treatment Preference Act, HIPAA, laws pertaining to guardianship and custody, advance directive legislation and MMCI policies, as well as Elderly and Child Abuse reporting laws
· Makes necessary phone calls to child and elderly welfare agencies to report abuse and/or neglect
Serves as a resource in the creation and maintenance of a therapeutic milieu so the unit is a safe, caring, nurturing, healing and educational environment.
· Ensures patient/staff safety by following policy/procedures, adhering to national patient safety goals; sets behavioral limits for patients according to unit policies and individual treatment plans
· Completes event reports for any adverse outcomes
· Assists patients in conflict resolution
· Models behavior and serves as a resource in de-escalating patients utilizing CPI techniques
· Generates ideas for improving processes, treatment and patient care
· Communicates milieu and programming needs/suggestions to clinical supervisor and nurse manager
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Master’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work, or Counseling
1+ years of experience in/with providing behavioral health clinical services
If hired after September 5, 2018, must obtain license within three (3) years from date of hire or transfer into Behavioral Health Therapist role.
If hired after August 1, 2019, must possess and maintain current Crisis Prevention (CPI) certification within 90 days of hire/start date.
Required English Skills
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.