Sign On Incentive of $5,000 for qualifying candidates!
Description of Position:
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional emergency/non-emergency paramedic knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients and their families in the pre-hospital and emergency room settings. Maintains proficiency in knowledge and skills as described by the Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Emergency and Trauma Services Scope of Practice.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Proficient in driving the ambulance in emergent and non-emergent situations.
· Maintains ambulance cleanliness and restocking of supplies at all times.
· Performs patient assessment and initiates care using standing orders within their scope of practice in the pre-hospital setting taking primary care of patients when appropriate by utilizing critical thinking in making independent judgements.
· When not using standing orders follows the direction of the physician or physician designee by telephone or radio communications.
· Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and make the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Delivers high quality care utilizing the paramedic process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required in the emergency department in accordance with estabilished policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Guides other EMT’s in the delivery of quality patient care.
· Works cooperatively with law enforcement and fire departments at scenes.
· Works side by side with other EMS personnel, nursing staff, and physicians as part of the care team in the emergency room.
· Promptly completes documentation of prehospital patient care reports within 24 hours, per Iowa Code, to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Promptly completes documentation in the patient’s EPIC chart to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
Development & Education:
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance the EMS practice.
· Maintains continuing education to support renewal every two years.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Attends monthly staff meetings and training and serves on committees.
· Assists with performance improvement and the collection, compilation and reporting of data as directed.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, DIA, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited Paramedic program.
Critical Care Paramedic endorsement
Must possess and maintain a valid clean class D3 chauffeurs driver’s license
Must possess and maintain current Paramedic licensure in good standing.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS), ACLS, and PALS certifications.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office-basic computer skills
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Information about Jones Regional Medical Center - Anamosa, IA
Jones Regional Medical Center has been named 5th fastest growing hospital in the US by Modern Healthcare
· All private rooms
· Three major trauma rooms with an additional four exam rooms
· State-of-the-art equipment and lighting
· Easy navigation for patients to be evaluated and treated in the ED
· Radiology/laboratory services located next to ED for easy testing access
· 5500+ volume Monthly
· 24/7 RT, Lab, ER and Radiology
· Daytime offerings - Therapy, Wound, Social Services, Counseling, Rehabilitation
· Great place to have a rural quality of life but have access to larger cities (30-minutes to Cedar Rapids and 45-minutes to Iowa City)
Choose Jones County
Jones County, located in the heart of Eastern Iowa along Highway 151, is central to major U.S. markets. Within five hours of Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Madison, and Omaha with easy access to the crossroads of America, Interstates 80 and 35.
Living in Jones County
· Easy highway access to major shopping/entertainment in Cedar Rapids
· Just 45 minutes from Iowa City
· Growing trail system for walking and biking
· Museums including the National Motorcycle Museum and the Anamosa State Penitentiary Museum
· State and local parks for camping and recreation
· Two new aqua parks
· Numerous golf courses
· Home of the Jones County Fair the 3rd largest county fair in the state of Iowa.