UnityPoint at Home
Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)
Cedar Rapids - Home Care
Full-Time 1.0 FTE
40 hours/week, Monday-Friday, Daytime
The Physical Therapy Assistant provides direct patient care for a diverse community-based caseload according to the plan of care developed by a supervising Physical Therapist. Delivers patient care that is consistent with clinical best practices and results in high quality, improved outcomes and an exceptional patient experience.
Why UnityPoint Health?
· Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you matter. Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
· Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options like 401K match, paid time off and education assistance that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
· Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
· Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
· Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work at https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org.
Patient Care/Care Coordination
· Makes visits to the homes of patients requiring home health physical therapy services.
· Treats clients to relieve pain, restore function and maintain maximum performance using appropriate physical therapy treatments, modalities and procedures as directed by the physician and physical therapist and included in the plan of care.
· Directs and aids patients in active and passive therapeutic exercises, muscle reeducation, gait and functional training, transfer activities and prosthetic training.
· Uses physical agencies including heat, cold, water, electricity, ultrasound and massage.
· Instructs patient, family and caregivers in care and use of wheelchairs, braces, crutches, canes, and prosthetic or orthotic devices.
· Ensures quality and safe delivery of services to patients according to the care plan.
· Uses equipment and supplies safely, effectively, and efficiently.
· Observes and reports to the Physical Therapist and other designated organizational personnel the patient response to treatment and any changes in patient condition.
· Provides the services that are ordered by the physician as indicated in the plan of care.
· Maintains accurate and timely documentation of clinical records and time/travel entries.
· Identifies risk for acute hospitalization and proactively prevents adverse events.
· Provides visits/treatments consistent with the plan of care.
Home Care Performance Criteria
· Delivers quality care and completes clear, concise and accurate clinical documentation of care provision in accordance with home health conditions of participation (CoPs), various payer home health coverage criteria, accreditation standards, professional standards for discipline/credential and the home health plan of care.
· Participates in clinical review of records to monitor quality and accuracy, appropriate utilization, appropriate involvement of interdisciplinary team members, appropriate referrals and coordination of care.
· Uses appropriate infection control procedures and safety measure to protect employees and patients.
· Participates in case conferences, in-service programs and other meetings required to ensure coordinated and comprehensive care.
· Reviews all patient assignments prior to scheduling first visit and accepts patient assignments only for which qualified and competent in any specific care/technical skill/procedure needed.
· Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
· Participates in quality assurance/performance improvement (QAPI) activities, as assigned.
· Maintains professional knowledge for discipline/credential/license ensuring inclusion of content specific to home and community based care.
· Communicates professionally, effectively and timely to all team members and co-workers and responds to all communication in a timely manner including, but not limited to e-mails, phone communication and meeting follow-up responsibilities.
· Establishes and maintains positive interpersonal relationships with team members, patients and family members while maintain personal and professional boundaries.
· Assist with new employee orientation when necessary.
· Effectively plans, organizes, sets priorities and completes works assignments with minimum direct supervision per agency policy and within established time frames.
· Maintains productivity standards as defined by home care supervisor.
· Meets or exceeds agency expected outcomes related to patient experience and hospitalization utilization.
· Performs other duties as assigned by home care clinical supervisor and/or administrator.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of administrative staff.
· Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· Maintains compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Behaves in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance policies and procedures.
Preferred or Specialized
One year experience caring for similar patient population as to be assigned.
Home care experience
2+ years’ experience
Experience with documentation in an electronic health record.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.