The CTR will identify, abstract and maintain comprehensive, accurate data on patients with a diagnosis of cancer and other diagnoses within St. Luke’s Hospital defined population. This position will be responsible for collecting, managing and abstracting data on cancer patients diagnosed and/or treated at St. Luke’s Hospital. The CTR will act as a resource person for those directly involved in the management of cancer patients and will work cooperatively within the hospital community to coordinate the collection, management and abstraction of cancer data. The CTR works in collaboration with the Cancer Committee to identify areas of improvement regarding practice, policies and processes.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work at https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Oversee the identification and abstracting of data on all cancer patients diagnosed and/or treated within St. Luke’s Hospital defined population for statistical reporting, analysis and inclusion into Electronic Registry System (ERS).
· Provide direction and expertise in disseminating cancer statistics and educational information to physicians, hospital staff, patients and potential patients.
· Maintain confidentiality and security of all patients, identifying information stored in the Cancer Registry files in compliance with federally approved protocols for the protection of human rights responsibilities and in adherence with St. Luke’s Hospital’s Policy and Procedures.
· Participate in continuing education course work to stay abreast of new developments in registry data management, regulations, requirements and trends to improve the quality of data collection and management.
· Take active role in preparation of multidisciplinary cancer conference and attend conference as requested.
· Adhere to the Policy and Procedure Manual of the Cancer Registry at St. Luke’s Hospital; assure the registry adheres to cancer reporting requirements of the State Health Registry of Iowa and the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
· Provide quality oversight of case findings, abstracting, coding, follow-up and data processing, adhering to requirements of the State Health Registry of Iowa and the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
· Prepare routine and statistical reports related to the cancer patient population for St. Luke’s upon request of hospital personnel and the Cancer Committee, in compliance with American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Standards.
· Work collaboratively with the Coordinator of Cancer Registry Data to monitor and report on the quality of the Tumor Registry Operations data and activities.
· Take active role in St. Luke’s Cancer Committee attending and participating in meetings as a required member. Assist Director of Cancer Services in preparation of Cancer Committee Meetings and taking of minutes as requested.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree, emphasis in health science preferred
• College course work in computers required or job-related training.
• Experience with data entry required.
• Ability to work independently and self-direct work activities.
• Knowledge of Tumor Registry software and equipment
• Minimum of two years current CTR experience
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Certified Tumor Registrar – Must have within 12 months of hire.
• Experience with Microsoft products required.
• Ability to build positive working relationships with physicians and external agencies.
• Ability to communicate with multiple levels of organizations and community (managers, physicians, clinical, and support staff).
· Must demonstrate a cooperative, courteous, dependable working performance.
· Must possess high integrity and maintain confidentiality at all times.
· Promotes the cancer center’s philosophy of customer service and teamwork by possessing and demonstrating acceptable business etiquette.
· Must contribute to a positive workflow in the department.