The PCT is responsible for the technical aspects of patient care under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN).
The patients to be served include infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
· Performs assigned patient care duties as required, needed and/or directed.
· Partners with the RN and other healthcare team members to achieve patient care outcomes and goals of care, as identified in the plan of care.
· Obtains, records the listed tasks following competency validation for skill performance and documentation requirements: Vital signs, Weights, Intake and output, and Other appropriate patient observations, as assigned.
· Performs specific tasks as directed by the RN and other healthcare team members, following competency validation.
· Empty waste devices (urinals, hats, bedpans) promptly and record on I & O sheet, if applicable.
· Set up simple oxygen therapy (nasal cannula).
· Perform pulse oximetry.
· Discontinue IV therapy.
· Assist with safe patient handling.
· Assist with patient transport via wheelchair or stretcher.
· Perform linen changes.
· Delivers water, coffee, ice, and/or other nourishments, as needed.
· Promptly responds to call lights.
· Aids healthcare team members, as required.
· May assist in secretarial responsibilities per unit expectations.
· Assists patients with feeding, elimination, dressing, etc., as needed.
· Assists with patient mobilization.
· Assists with patient ambulation, with or without assistive devices.
· Promptly communicates pertinent patient care data and information to assigned RN and/or healthcare team member.
· Knowledge of principles of aseptic technique
Basic Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, AAAHC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital, ASC, and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste, and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital and ASC administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy, and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school graduate or equivalent is required.
Previous hospital experience is preferred
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends, and speaks fluent English
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
Basic computer knowledge using Microsoft Office, web browser, and email
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position