Patient Safety Companion- Clinical Staffing (Float)
Part-Time 16 hours per week
Shift: Days 7amm-3:30pm, every 3rd weekend and holiday rotation
The patient safety companion provides patient monitoring services through direct patient observation in order to provide a safe environment for patients
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
• Provides 1:1 direct observation (in patient’s room) to assigned patient to prevent patient self-injury. Maintains visual observation at all times.
• Participates in collaborative identification of and reporting of patient safety issues.
• Removes any potential safety hazard from patient room and reports findings to nursing staff.
• Promotes diversionary activities as necessary and appropriate
• Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality
• Demonstrates understanding and proficient use of patient monitoring software while functioning as a remote monitoring technician.
• Documents proof of observation on suicide precautions and other safety protocols
• Assists patient with Activities of Daily Living in accordance with job training and in collaboration with health care team. Nursing staff must be notified if patient lifting is required.
• Notifies assigned nursing and support staff on assigned area immediately in case of emergency, or as needed to provide patient care on a routine basis.
• Seeks assistance immediately when patient appears to pose a threat to themselves or others
• Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patient when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment.
• Notifies nursing and support staff to assist with other necessary activities (toileting, ambulation, etc)
• Coordinates meal and break times with team members and informs team prior to leaving patient room for any reason.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Previous health care experience preferred.
License(s)/Certification(s): Must possess and maintain valid Basic Life Support (BLS) or obtain certification within three (3) months. Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work related reasons.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Writes, reads, comprehends, and speaks fluent English, Multicultural sensitivity, Ability to respond appropriately to patient/co-worker, and Maintain confidential information.