Acute Care Social Worker - Care Coordinator
Rock Island UnityPoint Hospital Inpatient *Non Mental Health Position*
Full-time + benefits
M-F 8:oo - 4:30
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Responsible for the coordination of care and services for the patient through collaboration with the interdisciplinary team. Monitors plan of care to address physical and psychosocial needs, and provide problem solving assistance. Coordinates services, transitions of care, discharge planning, referrals to appropriate community agencies and assists with advance directives when appropriate. Provides leadership and promotes communication and collaboration among members of the interdisciplinary team, patients and families to ensure that specific patient outcomes are achieved and variances are evaluated and addressed as needed. Collaborates with members of the interdisciplinary team to achieve department and hospital goals related to coordination of care, reducing readmissions and managing length of stay.
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org
% of Time
· Facilitates the coordination of discharge planning to assure excellence in patient care and patient flow
· Assess patient’s clinical and psychosocial needs, identifies risk factors and develops plan based on identified needs
· Identifies needed interventions, communicates and collaborates with physicians and primary nurse to individualize plan of care
· Collaborates with patient, family, and other members of the healthcare team to address patient needs related to care coordination
· Coordinates and facilitates interdisciplinary planning and communication through care coordination rounds, complex care meetings, unit specific staff meetings
· Facilitates meetings with patients, significant others, and providers to ensure participation in the plan of care and discharge planning
· Researches and facilitates referrals to appropriate community agencies
· Identifies need for POA or advance directives and assists with completion of AD documents
· Coordinates orientation for the patient to the services and outcomes predicted
· Adheres to the requirements of CMS, The Joint Commission and other payers related to coordination of care, discharge planning, patient interventions and documentation
· Develops, maintains, and performs utilization management in the provision of medical necessary services, determine appropriate level of care for discharge planning, and efficient use of resources
· Communicates with UM Specialist to ensure medical necessity and appropriate patient class for hospital stay and qualifications met for next level of care
· Document all necessary components related to discharge planning in the electronic medical record
· Through appropriate discharge planning, monitor quality assurances such as patient experience, length of stay, and reduction of readmissions
· Collaborates with team members in planning and implementation of strategies to manage length of stay and prevent readmissions
· Assists in constructive evaluation of departmental services through participation in the Quality Improvement projects and implementation of systems to increase effective case management by all members of the health care team
· Maximizes positive financial outcomes for patients and hospital by reviewing medical record and making recommendations as needed to insure appropriate coordination of care, length of stay, discharge planning, and quality of care
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Master’s Degree in Social Work required.
1-2 Years post graduate experience.
Social Work license in Iowa and Illinois required. (License in second state must be obtained within 30 days of hire.)
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must have thorough knowledge of community resources and agencies. Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written including the ability to communicate with physicians, hospital staff, patients, families and community agencies. Requires the ability to negotiate and establish effective working relationships with members of the interdisciplinary health care team. Must demonstrate ability to identify and act upon psychosocial needs and work independently in outcome oriented environment. Above average computer skills and software programs required.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.