RN Clinical Admission Specialist
Facilitates and coordinates all direct admissions, interhospital transfers as well as transfers into Central Illinois UPH Hospitals in accordance with established processes and regulatory (TJC, CMS, EMTALA guidelines). Actively collaborates with providers, nursing, and case management/utilization management to ensure appropriate patient placement for optimal care provision. Assures that all bedded patients at Central Illinois UPH Hospitals (Excluding Behavioral Health and Obstetrical patients) are placed in the appropriate room accommodations and patient status when admitted.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
· Assesses and coordinates clinically appropriate bedding of all patients, from all sources, at all campuses of Central Illinois UPH Hospitals (Excluding Behavioral Health)
o Facilitates bed assignments for scheduled patients, direct admissions, patients being admitted from ER, surgery and all ancillary departments including outpatient observation/outpatients.
o Collaborate with physicians, nursing, and other hospital staff to assure that resources/beds are available, and the patients are placed in the appropriate room accommodation for care needs
o Meets established metric’s achieve throughput and monitors progress related to placement and scheduling.
o Responsible for identifying and escalating bedding issues promptly and appropriately to leadership when established time metrics are exceeded.
o Meets established metrics to ensure all rooms are cleaned in a timely manner and notifies EVS by changing the bed status on all Stat and Next cleans.
o Meets with director to review metrics monthly.
o Collects data for process improvement purposes as requested by leadership
· Coordinates and facilitates direct admissions, interhospital transfers as well as transfers to Central Illinois UPH Hospitals in accordance with hospital processes and EMTALA guidelines as applicable.
o Obtains information intake from physician offices and facilitates clinical handover as requested on all direct admissions
o Obtains information intake and facilitates recorded telephone communication between sending and receiving physicians and other facility staff on all transfers from outside facilities.
o Maintains current knowledge of and monitors facility compliance with EMTALA guidelines on each applicable transfer, completes documentation per hospital guidelines.
o Performs admission Utilization review on all direct admissions & transfers to support appropriateness of admission. Communicates findings to receiving/admitting physician for use in decision-making as needed.
o Responsible for identifying and escalating direct admission or transfer issues promptly and appropriately to leadership
o Partners with nursing, case management and/or social workers to facilitate smooth out bound transfers to other hospitals, this includes the Emergency Department transfers. Phase 2 will be outbound discharges to long term care facilities.
o Identifies data for process improvement purposes.
o Facilitates recorded three-way calls between referring provider and receiving provider. Provides an assigned bed upon request of transfer prior to provider-to-provider call.
o Facilitates and records the nurse-to-nurse report from sending to receiving hospital unit.
o Clinical admission specialist ensures that requested bed placement is appropriate as identified by the provider-to-provider discussion, and that patient needs can be met.
o Assumes principal responsibility for the coordination of acceptance, admission and transfer, and necessary communication between the referring physician, attending physician and clinical staff
o Ensures the admission requirement form is completed and in the record within 24 hours of admission.
o Works with the sending facility to arrange mode of transportation needed: ground, air stat or routine.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Associates Degree or diploma in nursing
Bachelor's Degree preferred
3-5 years nursing experience
2-3 years of experience in/with continuous clinical experience in a critical/acute care setting. Preferred
Registered Nurse- Licensed and registered in the state of Illinois
Ø Professional Communication – written & verbal
Ø Customer/patient focused
Ø Managing priorities/deadlines
Ø Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities or needs
Ø Planning and organizing skills
Ø MS Office proficiency (Outlook, Word)
Ø Ability to give work direction to non-clinical staff
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.