UnityPoint at Home
West Des Moines, IA
Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM + weekend/holiday rotation as needed
Full-time + benefits
The Scheduler position provides support to the clinical field staff by means of assisting with the scheduling of patient visits. Efficient and timely communication with the clinicians, supervisors, patients and their peers is essential in this role. This position is a major component in supporting the company initiatives of patient satisfaction and employee engagement as well as compliance with company policies, payor source, federal regulations, and is a huge part of many process changes.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Coordinating Patient Care
· Speaking with patients to set up their homecare visits and verify patient information.
· Coordinating patients’ initial visits within company policy for timely initiation of care by managing multiple Epic workqueues.
· Assigns appropriate clinician coverage for all ordered services.
· Serve as liaison with contract agencies to schedule patient assignments.
· Moving and rescheduling patient visits per request of patient or clinician.
· Ensures that weekly visit/shifts are scheduled in compliance with frequency orders.
· Ensures that documentation is recorded for compliance with regulations.
· Assigns appropriate case managers and care team clinicians.
· Communication with the patients if schedule changes are needed to ensure patient satisfaction.
· Scheduling extended pediatric shift care hours to ensure that we are providing as much nursing coverage as possible.
· Covering appropriate after hours on-call scheduling shifts which consists of: ensuring that we provide as much nursing coverage for our extended peds department as allowed without scheduling into overtime and quick critical decision making regarding patient visits and shifts.
· Acts as a liaison with our after hours contracted Answering Service to get patient concerns handled in a timely and efficient manner outside of normal business hours.
· Acts as a liaison with the Intake department and homecare coordinators in the hospital setting. Ability to research and work out barriers with referrals/patient episodes of care. Answer patient/family questions about the services we provide in the home.
· Independently applies critical thinking and problem solving
Supporting and Engaging Clinicians
· Answer the telephone/emails, screen and route all incoming telephone calls/emails to the appropriate staff member or take messages according to office policy and procedure.
· Review hospitalization lists and report findings to clinicians.
· Communicate with licensed and unlicensed personnel regarding patient needs and provide feedback from patients.
· Update on-call personnel with caregiver assignments.
· Assist with requested schedule or visit changes
· Attend appropriate care team meetings to participate in patients plan of care
· Ensure that clinicians are scheduled with patient visits/shifts to meet the requirements of the FTE
· Work with supervisors on maintaining/balancing clinician overtime to support budget initiatives
· Acts as a liaison for the field clinicians, answering questions that they may have about scheduling processes, referrals, and the EPIC EMR system.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Associate degree in business, health administration, related field, or equivalent experience.
All staff are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate manager. In addition, staff are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job-related skills and abilities. All staff must attend mandatory educational programs.
Bachelor degree in business, health administration, or related field.
2 years of Scheduling or Customer Service Experience.
Basic knowledge of computer applications.
Previous health care experience.
Experience with Microsoft Office software applications-Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Adobe.
Typing ability of 50 wpm and kph.
Completion of all physical capacity testing; if applicable.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation.
· Ability to exercise initiative, problem-solving and decision-making.
· Ability to work as a collaborative team member.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Superior customer service skills
· Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.