RN Lead, Mental Health Unit
Full-time, Weekend Package - Thursday, Saturday & Sunday (7am-7pm)
Coordinates the day-to-day operations of the unit utilizing quality and cost effective patient care principles. Reviews staffing and effectively communicates with others to ensure staffing requirements are met. As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional nursing knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients and their families. Collaborates with physicians and other health care workers, to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care while maintaining a practice environment that reflects the ANA Code for Nurses, Philosophy of Nursing at UnityPoint Health with in the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model and in collaboration with other care givers.
· Provides leadership by directing, coordinating and delegating patient care in an organized manner, allowing for flexibility.
· Collaborating with the leadership team, effectively resolving complex unit situations, such as patient complaints and crises as they occur within the unit.
· Evaluates and guides staff through coaching and immediate feedback and accountability regarding job performance. Demonstrates the ability to fairly and consistently interpret, apply and follow personnel policies/procedures.
· Reviews staffing and effectively communicates with others to ensure staffing requirements are met.
· Assists with orientation program of newly hired team members.
· Helps with staff education/in-services/specialized skilled training programs including competencies.
· Provides feedback to Manager/Director for ongoing performance management.
· Collaborates with Manager/Director to complete employee rounding to meet standards.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Develops an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare providers and hold them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
Development & Patient Education
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Assists manager with performance improvement action plans and implementation of plans, monitoring of supplies/distribution and chart audits.
· Collaborates with Manager/Director to complete patient rounding to meet standards.