Responsible for the provision of medical nutrition therapy for patients using the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics’ (AND) Nutrition Care Process (NCP). This includes assessment, diagnosis, intervention, monitoring and evaluation of patients with eating disorder diagnosis. Works in collaboration with other members of the health care team including Physicians, LIPs, nurses, therapists, nutrition associates. Uses technology to maximize information exchange.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work at https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Successfully demonstrate annual hospital competencies and department/unit specific competencies.
· Uses the steps in the Nutrition Care Process to interpret nutrition screens, perform initial and follow-up nutrition assessments, and implement interventions and the personalized nutrition plan of care.
· Documents nutrition care according to department policies using approved format, content and timeliness standards.
· Interprets nutrition care orders per approved department nutrition care manual and implements consistently in patient education and meal service.
· Provides instruction and counsel to patients and/or significant others according to protocol and documents appropriately.
· Communicates appropriately with interdisciplinary health care teams to assure optimal patient care. Makes appropriate medical nutrition therapy recommendations to members of the health care team.
· Participates in Performance Improvement that provides quality nutrition services outcomes based on current evidence based standards and meets regulatory standards (TJC, DIA)
· Contributes nutrition expertise by serving as a member of the Eating Disorder Program team.
· Completes timely written reports. Reports and processes errors, omissions, incidents and unusual occurrences promptly.
Program and professional development
· Provides nutrition education programs for health care providers, associates and members of the community emphasizing the role of good nutrition in a healthy lifestyle in conjunction with the St. Luke Hospital’s mission, vision and values through presentations and the media, when requested.
· Represents the hospital as the nutrition expert for media interviews.
· Acts as a preceptor to student dietitians and other health care providers, when requested.
· Maintains continuing education. Utilizes and shares information from conferences/workshops.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor’s Degree in Dietetics/Nutrition. Dietetic Internship or equivalent Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) approved program.
Master of Science in Nutrition and Food Service or specialty certification as a Certified Diabetes Educator, a Clinical Nutrition Support Clinician, or Board Certification Specialty from CDR in Gerontology, Renal, Pediatrics or Oncology Nutrition is preferred
· Must be a Registered Dietitian (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN).
· Experience using the Nutrition Care Process.
· Experience using computer software to access clinical resources (nutrition care manual, evidence based practice standards and clinical policies), and document patient care and create electronic documents.
· Maintains current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). Membership in the AND is preferred.
· One to three years as an RD or RDN is preferred.
· Experience in working with Eating Disorders is preferred.
· Experience using Epic preferred