Grundy County Memorial Hospital- UnityPoint Health
40 hours M-F Days
Here’s your opportunity to join a high performing team. Grundy County Memorial Hospital is a consistent top performer in patient experience, recognized as one of the nation’s Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals, and is accredited for meeting the highest standards for patient safety and quality of care. Come see why our employees have placed us among Iowa’s Top 150 Workplaces for the past seven years, and a Cedar Valley Employer of Choice!
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Description of Position:
The Billing Clerk is responsible for the daily submission of insurance claims and posting of insurance payments. The Billing Clerk resolves billing and insurance errors while ensuring patients are billed timely and accurately.
Departmental Support and Functions
· Anticipates the need to assist coworkers and adapt to staff coverage in the Billing Office and other Revenue Cycle areas.
· Multitask and work efficiently to accomplish daily objectives of the Billing Office.
· Communicate and work collaboratively with Revenue Cycle team members as well as ancillary departments of the Hospital.
· Processes the daily insurance claims electronically, checking for errors and resubmitting when necessary.
· Works up and batches checks daily, both electronic and paper.
· Prints and submits insurance claims not accepted electronically in an efficient and timely fashion.
· Responsible for working work queues in EHR daily and completing accounts timely and accurately to ensure timely billing.
· Analyzes insurance denials and troubleshoot claims errors as necessary to ensure claims are reconsidered and resolved as necessary.
· Responsible for working daily statement work queue in EHR.
· Complete the daily deposit.
· Assist patients and other callers with billing-related questions, maintaining a high level of confidentiality and professionalism concerning patient rights.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· Submit IT tickets as necessary to resolve system-related issues.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school diploma or equivalent
One (1) to two (2) years of college
Previous medical office experience.
Previous experience with an electronic health record or medical office software.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
· Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email and web browser.