Mental Health Associate-Addiction-UnityPlace
Proctor - Addiction Recovery Center
Full-Time 32 hours/week, Benefitted
3rd Shift 12:00am - 8:30am
Mental Health Associate works with the treatment team to ensure complete coordination of the patient treatment plan from admission through discharge.
About UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace:
UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace is proud to offer the most comprehensive addiction and mental health services in the Peoria, Illinois region to you and your family. UnityPlace was formed by the joining of UnityPoint Health®, Human Service Center and Tazwood Center for Wellness in April of 2019. UnityPlace is a new non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the growing behavioral health care needs of the community. Our compassionate and committed treatment team is comprised of many experts from psychiatry and addiction medicine.
Our goal is to deliver comprehensive behavioral healthcare to optimize the patient's well-being. It is our privilege to partner with our patients on their journey of healing.
As a member of the UnityPlace Team, our team members are eligible for a benefits package including:
Additional benefits are available, apply today to discuss our full benefits package!
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
ENSURES PATIENTS RECEIVE COMPREHENSIVE SERVICES: Assists the interdisciplinary treatment team in patient assessments and the development of goal -directed treatment.
· Works with the treatment team to provide complete services to patients.
· Accurately documents activities according to the policies and procedures of the IIAR.
· Is knowledgeable of and capable of providing emergency assistance in regard to inappropriate acting out behavior by any patient. Always attempts to utilize verbal redirection, interaction of other staff, utilization of quiet room, etc. before instituting emergency measures such as Security Alerts, restraints, etc.
· Is knowledgeable and capable of working with patients who present a dual problem, Co-Occurring Substance Use and Mental Health Disorder.
· Is knowledgeable of and appropriately institutes the daily program format on the adult. Guides activities on the daily schedule to provide optimum treatment while instilling a sense of positive empowerment to patients.
· Provides that all patient contact and interaction is based upon inherent dignity, individuality, culture and beliefs of each patient. Patient care is provided in a compassionate, humane, and non-enabling manner.
· Provides patient care with attention/knowledge of age specific care.
· Conducts Addiction Assessments including but not limited to patient rights, obtaining releases of information, advanced directives, etc.)
· Participates in interdisciplinary clinical staffing or ensures pertinent information is provided to team
· Demonstrates Motivational Interviewing skills when working with patients.
· Serves as the witness for RNs when wasting medication.
THERAPEUTIC ENVIRONMENT AND SAFETY FOCUS: Assists in the creation and maintenance of a therapeutic milieu so that the unit is a safe, caring, nurturing, healing, and educative environment.
Sets behavioral limits on patients according to unit policies, individual plan of care and behavior modification plans
· De-escalates patients utilizing CPI techniques
· Participates in application of seclusion/restraints when appropriate; provides monitoring of patients in such situation; completes appropriate documentation, including restriction of rights forms
· Provides supportive care to patients and families.
· Conducts safety rounds
· Assists patients in conflict resolution
· Role models stress management
· Ensures patient safety of unit by following policies/procedures and adhering to unit protocols and national patient safety goals
THERAPEUTIC GROUPS AND INDIVIDUAL THERAPIES: Provides group and individual therapies for all patients as assigned in order to provide comprehensive, quality treatment.
· Facilitates educational sessions, structured groups and psychoeducational groups in accordance with the patient's plan of care
· Utilizes a variety of therapeutic models as appropriate to the clinical situation, but primarily has a brief therapy/cognitive behavioral therapy focus
· Ensures the milieu maintains a therapeutic environment
· Incorporates Recovery principles in all therapeutic interventions
· Documents interventions in a succinct and goal directed manner using DAR format
· Recognizes and reports abuse/neglect situations as required by law
· Provides support, sets limits, and/or facilitates learning from the situation when providing situational 1:1 interventions
· Adheres to group rules and scheduled groups start and end on time.
· Follows group content outlines in group manual and individualizes groups to needs of current patient population
· Engages patients to participate of all patients as appropriate in community meetings
· Interacts with parents/significant others to answer programming questions, patient progress, etc
· Gives accurate, objective data during report to oncoming shift in supplement to RN report.
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT FOCUS: Assists in performance Improvement activities on unit.
· Actively promotes and achieves customer satisfaction (patient, family, departments and physicians)
· Generates ideas for improving processes, treatment, and patient care
· Participates in Root Cause Analyses and assists in development of action plans and implementation of action plans
· Serves on unit-based and hospital-based committees
· Precepts new employees
· Follows through on assignments generated by Program Manager or unit committees
· Volunteers for assignments which are designed to affect needed changes.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor’s Degree in Addiction, Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, or another related field, if hired after 1/1/19.
Experience in working with patients who suffer from addiction or mental health disorders.
Must possess and maintain a current certification from Illinois Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association within three years of hire/start date.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 60 days of hire/start date.
Must possess and maintain current Crisis Prevention (CPI) certification within 90 days of hire/start date.
Required English Skills
Must have control over personal use of all mood-altering chemicals and behaviors.
If recovering from an addiction, must currently have a minimum of 2 years of uninterrupted recovery and must actively treat this addiction by appropriate recovery practices.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.