Sign On Incentive of $10,000 for qualifying candidates!
The Registered Nurse functions as a member of the surgical team to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical, therapeutic, and diagnostic procedures. The Registered Nurse collaborates with the team to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The Registered Nurse is accountable for assessing patient needs preoperatively; planning, implementing, evaluating, and documenting nursing care of the patient intraoperatively, and providing a report of intraoperative care to the nurse who will be caring for the patient postoperatively. In addition, the Registered Nurse may function as a member of the sterile surgical team, assist in the pre-and post-operative care of the patient as needed, or assemble instruments, supplies, and equipment for procedures.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assumes primary responsibility for the plan of care for a patient or group of patients, per unit standards and nursing care required for the specified patient population.
· Effectively delegates tasks and responsibilities to other health care team members and assumes responsibility for follow-up and collaboration.
· Performs admission assessment process per specific department standards to include patient history, physical, and psycho-social assessment. Utilizes physical assessment data, diagnostic data (lab, radiology, diagnostic testing), pharmacological information and patient/family perceptions in formulating nursing diagnosis related to focus problem areas and identifying goals of care.
· Assumes responsibility for developing a plan of care that is mutually established with the patient and family. Each patient is treated as an individual, with their identified goals and expectations reviewed each shift to verify priorities.
· Implements the plan of care according to current standards of nursing practice, evidence-based practice, and hospital protocol/procedures.
· Integrates multidisciplinary approach to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conductive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
· Partners with healthcare team to achieve the patient care outcomes and goals of care.
· Administers medications and nursing treatments within scope of practice.
· Incorporates St. Luke’s Comfort/C.A.R.E. Professional Practice Model in their daily nursing care.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the hospitalization, including the plan and goals of care, pre- and post-operative procedures, diagnostic procedures, and discharge teaching.
· Integrates preventative health maintenance into the education plan.
Leadership and Professional Development
· Assists in the orientation of new associates by acting as a resource and mentor to associates. Collaborates with unit leadership, as appropriate. Serves in preceptor role, as appropriate.
· Participates in the education experiences of students and/or RN interns.
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Utilizes evidenced based models of learning.
· Participates in department and hospital shared governance infrastructure and performance improvement activities.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of accredited nursing program
· BSN degree
· Prefer one (1) year of hospital clinical experience or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
· Possess current RN licensure in the State of Iowa or compact state
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Specialty certification
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic/advanced nursing procedures in the administration of medication therapy and the operation of specialized equipment
· Ability to complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.