Position: Nurse Clinical Charge - ICU
Location: Mthodist Hospital
Hours per week: 36 hours per week
To coordinate the day to day work flow on the nursing unit to meet patient care needs. This role will focus on nursing process, physician communication, case management and resource utilization.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Demonstrates the ability to assess, plan, facilitate and evaluate patient care.
· Displays clinical competence when caring for a wide variety of complex patients through expert assessment skills, manual and technical skills, and critical thinking abilities.
· Demonstrates the ability to stay on the cutting edge of clinical practice in the respective unit.
· Utilizes evidence-based practices within the area of specialty.
· Uses baseline/ongoing patient data from all sources to assist in the development of an individualized plan of care.
· Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members to identify potential barriers and variances to the plan of care.
· Collaborates with the care team to recommend referrals to other disciplines of the care team as necessary to meet patient needs (social work, therapy, wound care, etc.).
· Collaborates with Nurse Manager and Case Manager to facilitate length of stay and payor needs.
· Recognize, evaluate and assists in the implementation of solutions in resource consumption and length of stay issues.
· Participates in bedside report on complex patients.
· Manages and mentors in crisis situations.
· Delegate and oversee care processes.
Assists in the professional growth/development, clinical knowledge/skills, and critical thinking ability of nurses and ancillary staff.
· Recognizes individual and unit education needs based on trends, quality standards, observation, and care gaps.
· Performs bedside mentoring and education on the spot when knowledge gaps or teachable moments are identified.
· Provides feedback to staff on performance based on observation and chart review.
· Conducts bedside critical thinking exercises with nurses during patient rounds.
· Facilitates and conducts bedside orientation for critical situations/experiences after the orientation period.
· Reports mentoring and bedside educational activities to the Nurse Manager on an ongoing basis.
Demonstrates professional accountability and leadership.
· Provides clinical leadership to achieve desired patient outcomes.
· Holds self and others to high standards of professional practice and behavior.
· Develops and maintains positive relationships between staff, physicians and other departments
· Develops strategies to promote teamwork and collegiality.
· Conducts shift report and makes appropriate bed and staff assignments.
· Acts as a role model and demonstrates expertise in conflict resolution and negotiation.
· Evaluates and communicates input on the professional practice environment and unit process effectiveness to the Nurse Manager.
· Continuously evaluates staff performance and provides Input to the Nurse Manager.
· Provides timely and ongoing feedback on patient, physician, and staff issues to Nurse Manager.
· Monitors patient flow Issues and assists with problem solving and resolving these Issues.
· Identifies circumstances that require redistribution of addition of staff based on unit activity, patient acuity, and staff orientations/training needs.
· Assists with unit audits as delegated.
· Provides Input with the development of protocols/standards/practice guidelines/plans of care as necessary.
· Assess patient status for safety and establish preventive measures as needed.
· Assesses environment and unit processes for patient safety risks and assists in the establishment of plans and interventions to reduce risk (falls, wounds, nutrition, NPSG compliance, etc.)
· Recognizes and participates in organizational and unit based PI activities.
· Assists the Nurse Manager in assuring all quality measures are met (core measures, handwashing, VAP/CAUTI/CLABSI prevention, etc.).
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
Individuals hired after August 1, 2013 must obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN) within (5) years of start date.
2 years’ experience specific to patient population.
Current licensure in good standing as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Must possess and maintain current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification within one year of hire/start date.
Advanced reading, writing and oral skills
Ability to utilize PC including, basic elements of Windows environment, keyboarding, work with mouse, and perform basic computer tasks with instruction
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.