Location: Proctor Hospital
Sign-on Bonus avaialble
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Provides surgical technology to direct and indirect care and service. Assist surgeon, performs operative/invasive procedures. Serves as a resource to other technologist, trains new technologist, trains students and functions as an informal lead technologist role as needed. Mentoring and utilizing the additional education gained through certification will be used to assist peers, perform more efficiently and raise performance.
Preparation for surgeon specific operative/invasive procedures that’s timely, accurate effective and efficient.
· Instruments equipment and suture are appropriate, complete and functional.
· Sets up sterile field and is scrubbed prior to patent entering the room
· Sets up case so that another can step into an organized back table and mayo.
· Have appropriate “have available” items.
· Uses resources wisely, avoids unnecessary opening.
· Motions are fluid and not redundant.
· Set up time for a variety of case types is within acceptable range.
· Aware of and is prepared for case needs, i.e. two mayo’s.
· Collaborates with surgeon prior to case and adjusts as necessary.
· Precept surgical techs and RNs to prepare for surgeon specific procedures.
Scrubs on simple to complex procedures for a variety of specialties.
· Able to “run mayo” independently.
· Aware of surgeon’s techniques and preferences.
· Adapts style to match surgeon and procedures.
· Confident and competent during routine and emergency procedures.
· Is prepared for sequencing, i.e. clamp, cut, tie.
· Anticipates and provides so that attention needs not be diverted from the operative field.
· Attentive to case, pays attention to subtle cues and responds appropriately.
· Pro-active identification of needs: averts need to have someone run for things.
· Observe technique of self and others and intervenes appropriately.
· Performs in first scrub, first assist and second scrub roles.
· Performs case closing activities such as dressing application, transfer and turnover.
· Teach RNs to scrub on a variety of cases.
Plans, anticipates and provides for expected and unexpected intra-op events.
· Anticipates and provides appropriate and timely intervention for intra-op case change. E.g. lap to open, uncontrolled bleeding, perforation.
· Actions and behavior are calm, confident, and steady.
· Is prepared for the unexpected and uses resources wisely.
· Anticipates problem prone and/or high risk procedures and provides for needs.
· Observes for induction and maintain quiet.
· Protects patient privacy by own actions and reminds others.
· Precept/Mentor staff and students in planning for surgical events.
· Demonstrate critical thinking skills and job knowledge that will raise performance as well as teach others observation/knowledge.
· Be available to be assigned on-call hours outside of schedule work-hours, which includes after-hours, weekend and holidays. And if contacted while on-call, respond in the time frame as defined by the needs of the department per policy.
Communicates and collaborates with others.
· Serves as a resource of knowledge and shares knowledge as appropriate.
· Counts are timely and actions reflect clear understanding of the dual responsibility with circulating RN.
· Communicates needs nonverbal and verbally in a timely and appropriate manner: urgent vs. routine.
· Precepts staff in appropriate manner. Mentors in positive manner.
· Articulates priority of needs clearly.
· Listens and observes for cues indicating changing needs.
· Conversation in appropriate for setting.
· Addressing issues/concerns appropriately.
· Contributes to successful unity operations by integrating individual efforts with unit needs, goals and objectives.
· Participates in required call.
· Flexible with respect to assigned area (s).
· Assist others as needed or requested.
· Actions and behaviors foster team: shares knowledge and ideas.
· Attempts to resolve conflicts constructively.
· Performs a variety of activities to ensure an efficient effective unit.
· Communicates/collaborates with others to ensure appropriate instruments, specialty cards and equipment are available for cases.
· Participates in quality improvement efforts.
· Actions and behaviors promote positive work environment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Completion of Surgical Technology training through an institution, college or Military Program.
Associates Degree in Applied Science.
1-3 years of experience in/with acute tertiary full-service surgery.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire/start date.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.