Location: Methodist Hospital Surgery
Hours:M-F, Third Shift, As needed, 2300-0730
Hours per week: PRN
The Perioperative Nursing Assistant performs diversified activities that facilitate effective and efficient operations, utilizing independent judgment and decision-making.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org
Facilitates Surgical Services Operations by Supporting Multiple Areas
· Knowledgeable and skilled in the application of aseptic technique in multiple areas.
· Appropriately moves within and around the sterile field.
· Assist surgeon, physicians, anesthesia provider, surgical technologist and registered nurses.
· Performs a variety of perioperative support functions for pre-op, intra-op, and post-op. (Specific activities vary with each area and sub specialty.)
· Versatile and knowledgeable in multiple surgical specialties and phases of surgery (pre-op, intra-op, post-op.)
· Knowledgeable and skilled in multiple sterilization/disinfection techniques.
· Knowledgeable in multiple support areas such as; instrumentation, equipment, anesthesia, and supplies.
· Able to function independently in a variety of areas.
· Documentation is timely and accurate.
· Be available to be assigned on-call hours outside of scheduled work-hours, which include after-hours, weekends and holidays. And if contacted while on-call, respond in the time frame as defined by the needs of the department.
Prioritizes, anticipates, and provides for surgical procedures and patients.
· Reviews daily surgery schedule collaborates with leadership and plans support functions.
· Implements plan so multiple needs are met simultaneously.
· Actions support efficient preparation for surgical technologist, registered nurses, surgeons, physicians, and anesthesia providers.
· Prepares for age specific case requirements.
· Identifies barriers and initiates appropriate intervention.
Demonstrates working knowledge of surgical conscience, electronic systems, equipment and the interrelationship of pre-op, intra-op and post-op. Systems include but are not limited to:
· Electrosurgical unit, bipolar and monocular functional use and tissue effects.
· Pneumatic tourniquet systems and ATS.
· A variety of positioning devices.
· Endoscopic video systems; set up, operate and trouble shoot.
· Insufflation and accessories.
· Patient warming devices.
· Gravity and Pre Vac sterilizers.
· Phaco emulsifier and vitrector.
· Irrigation devices.
· Microscopes and accessories.
· Anesthesia machines.
· Scope wasters.
· Phlebotomy and testing such as; Hemacue, UCG, urine multistix.
· Specialty carts; i.e. vascular grafts, plastic.
· Roles and relationships of scrubbed and non-scrubbed surgical team.
· Applies principle of aseptic techniques; opening sterile items and skin preparation.
· Ensures appropriate equipment, hazard warning, and practice compliance during laser use.
· Operates and demonstrates working knowledge of a variety of laser systems.
· Provides technical assistance to surgeons, physicians, registered nurses, surgical technologist, and support staff.
Demonstrates effective critical thinking and problem solving.
· Independently sets up and is able to operate equipment for a variety of surgical specialties.
· Provides case specific needs; specialty operating table, case specific assistive devices.
· Able to assist multiple specialty needs, collaborate, communicate, and provide required support.
· Fosters relationships and communication with family members.
· Demonstrate sensitivity to patient and family needs and provides or communicates to appropriate personnel.
· Integrates individual efforts within surgical services to ensure a safe environment, promote teamwork, and satisfaction.
· Assist in achieving department and organizational goals.
· Attend and participates in department meetings and educational offerings.
· Communicates effectively with nursing staff throughout the shift.
· Participates in education/training opportunities as available.
· Assists others in completion of assignments.
· Utilizes time wisely, identifies and initiates appropriate action.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School graduate or GED equivalent
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire/start date.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.