Child Life Specialist
32 hours a week
To help children and their families better understand the illness, hospitalization and outpatient procedures. Decreasing stress and anxiety related to procedures, separation from home and family and changes in routine are the key focus areas.
Bachelor’s Degree in Child Life or Child Development related field required. Childlife Internship a MUST!!!!
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
% of Time
Assessment-Promotes the use of evidence-based practice using protocols and procedures.
· Observe and assess the needs and concerns of the child and family
· Develops an individualized plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Uses appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to achieve expected patient outcomes
· Systematically evaluates and documents patient's progress toward expected outcomes/goals.
· Modifies plan of care based on evaluation
· Completes required documentation as appropriate, including patient chart and event reports
· Demonstrates professional accountability for own practice as evidenced through seeking resources and continuing self-development
· Demonstrates knowledge of equipment. Acquires and maintains current knowledge and skills in evidence based
Intervention-participates in the interdisciplinary care of the patient with the collaboration of team members, utilizing additional resources as needed.
· Analyzes clinical situations in a systematic way and acts to obtain resources or correct problems to meet or exceed expected outcomes or patient needs
· Demonstrates ownership and persistence to ensure problem is resolved in best way possible.
· Consistently prioritizes work based on changes in patient condition, changes in assignment and unanticipated interruptions
· Identifies and utilizes team resources to solve identified problems or needs
· Collaborates with the health care team in the organization of tasks and activities for the patient's care from admission to discharge according to the plan of care and to meet identified expected outcomes
· Works with other team members in delegating tasks and activities appropriately
· Advocates with physicians on patient's behalf when necessary
· Utilizes communication and teamwork strategies aimed at promoting high team performance and achieving optimal patient outcomes and unit productivity
· Chooses an appropriate and meaningful communication style when interacting with others: gives and accepts constructive.
Education- Assesses and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient's age and family needs.
· Adapts teaching strategies based on patient's response, readiness to learn and level of comprehension
· Takes cultural, age-specific, gender, and developmental factors into consideration when teaching patients about procedures, illness, hospital experience, etc.
· Ensures patient safety in the hospital environment by following policy/procedures and adhering to National Patient Safety Goals
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education
· Utilizes SVI patient education system as a resource for patients and family members
· Promotes the professional development of self and team members
· Shares clinical knowledge through formal and informal teaching and in response to the learning needs of others.
Performance Improvement- actively participates in data collection, analysis, problem-solving and gives input on process improvements and patient satisfaction.
· Works with interdisciplinary team in identifying opportunities for improvement in patient care and patient/family satisfaction
· Actively promotes and achieves customer satisfaction (patient, family, departments, physicians)
· Participates in the implementation of Performance Improvement initiatives
· Promptly and efficiently follows up on patient/family requests/needs - anticipates patient/family needs
· Encourages coworkers in achieving excellent customer satisfaction; utilizes organizational service excellence standards
· Serves on unit-based councils as needed
· Identifies practice problems on the unit
· Implements changes in own clinical practice based on literature and unit process improvement outcomes
· Works on assigned projects, data collection, audits as assigned.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor’s Degree in Child Life or Child Development related field.
Must possess and maintain current Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS) within 1 year of hire.
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Completion of a minimum of 480 hours through Child Life Internship.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.