Position: Instrument Technician
Hospital: Methodist Hospital
Hours per week: 40 hours
Shift: 0900 - 1730
To facilitate the daily operations of Surgical Services by ensuring instruments and related accessories are appropriate to meet department needs.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org
Organized and coordinates the daily flow of instruments/medical devices and accessories to ensure appropriate availability.
· Prioritizes and provides appropriate instruments for assigned area(s).
· Prioritizes reprocessing activities to ensure multiple case needs are met.
· Provides appropriate and functional substitutions as situations warrant.
· Responds to requests in a timely and appropriate manner.
· Demonstrates flexibility, speed, and fluidity in response to rapidly changing needs.
· Anticipates and meets need to ensure cases are not delayed.
· Collaborates with staff to ensure availability of instruments and supplies.
· Decontaminates items using appropriate technique and speed. Follows manufacturer’s instructions.
· Follows established procedures for care and handling of instruments.
· Be available to be assigned on-call hours outside of scheduled work-hours, which include after-hours, weekends and holidays. And if contacted while on-call, respond in the time frame as defined by the needs of the department.
Demonstrates working knowledge of surgical instruments, surgical intervention, principles of aseptic and sterilization technique.
· Demonstrates functional use of a variety of complex instrument systems.
· Demonstrates a working knowledge of the relationship of a variety of instruments to surgical procedures.
· Operates reprocessing/sterilization equipment (sterilizers, aerators, ultrasonic, etc.)
· Identifies procedure specific needs and initiates action to ensure those needs are met.
· Demonstrates working knowledge of complimentary instrumentation.
· Assembles routine and complex instrument sets with speed and accuracy using established procedures.
· Wraps and prepares instruments for sterilization.
· Performs all sterilization/disinfection monitoring.
· Uses manufacturer's instructions throughout all phases of reprocessing.
· Helps conduct educational sessions for staff growth and competency related to instruments.
· Documents appropriately, legibly and timely (includes all dates).
· Labels instruments/supplies accurately.
Utilizes an instrument inventory control system that ensures appropriate instruments are readily available.
· Collaborates with surgical technologists, registered nurses, and surgical instrument lead to ensure appropriate functional resources are available.
· Monitors integrity of instruments to reduce loss and/or damage.
· Prioritizes sterilization activities for appropriate quantity and availability of instruments.
· Maintains appropriate sterile instrument availability, both sets and single items.
· Identifies barriers to effective and efficient resource utilization and initiates corrective action.
Monitors care and maintenance of instruments to ensure compliance with standard practice.
· Monitors reprocessing process to ensure appropriate handling of instruments.
· Monitors sterilization processes to ensure compliance with standards.
· Collaborates with other team members to develop and revise practice patterns as needed.
· Identifies opportunities for improvement and initiates corrective action and/or refers appropriately.
· Demonstrates accuracy of tray assembly to ensure customer satisfaction and quality standards are met.
· Inspects instruments for defects and follows instrument repair process.
· Teaches staff appropriate care and handling of instruments.
· Teaches staff appropriate instrument assembly technique and sterilization monitors procedures.
· Identifies educational needs based on observations, feedback, problems and opportunities.
· Assists with product evaluation such as different accessories.
· Problem solves and follows through on issues with positive resolution.
· Maintains an employee/patient safe environment - wears PPE.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School graduate or GED equivalent
1 year of experience in/with in central or surgical reprocessing desired.
Demonstrated success in meeting multiple and simultaneous procedure needs preferred.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.