Diabetes Educator - Certified
Diabetes & Kidney Center, Cedar Rapids
Involved in teaching of the patient and family and community. Acts as a consultant and resource person for staff. Is involved with development of clinical pathways and protocols related to care of patient.
Why UnityPoint Health?
· Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you matter. Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
· Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options like 401K match, paid time off and education assistance that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
· Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
· Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
· Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work at https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org.
Questions? Contact Dawn.Ramm@unitypoint.org
· Collaborate with physicians in the coordination of care of the patient.
· Serve as a resource to nursing staff as well as to other health care personnel involved in the care of the specific specialty.
· Responsible for the development and ongoing coordination of care of the patient in the specific specialty.
· Current on technology and medications.
· Efficient with continuous glucose monitors, pumps, software, and phone apps.
· Patient interviewing.
· May serve other departments as assigned.
· Maintain organizational policies, procedures and objectives; performs functions other than described due to extenuating circumstances.
· Conduct or facilitate implementation of research studies, and translate research findings into nursing practice.
· Act as a consultant both within the institution and to outside agencies or groups.
· Share knowledge to facilitate the interdisciplinary approach to patient care.
· Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals and put the success of the team above own interests.
· Work with the clinic staff for mentoring support.
· Develop, implement and evaluate standards of practice and care of the specialty patient population.
· Provide appropriate and timely documentation in the patient's electronic health record using standardized workflows and processes.
· Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Administrator to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
· Glucose reviews, insulin and medication management, assess patterns.
· Scheduling patients, phone calls, troubleshoot meters and pumps.
· Consult with individuals, families, community agencies, or colleagues from associated disciplines or within nursing.
· Serve as a resource in educating the patients, family and community regarding information relevant to health and wellness and illness prevention.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
BSN preferred; willingness to complete degree.
Five (5) years of clinical experience preferred.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.