As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional nursing knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients and their families. Maintains a practice environment that reflects the ANA Code for Nurses, Philosophy of Nursing at UnityPoint Health within the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model and in collaboration with other care givers.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
• Utilizes scientific principles to administer chemotherapy agents and outpatient fluids, medications, and injections.
• Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal account of patient’s care.
• Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills specific to the chemotherapy/infusion specialty in accordance with the established policies, procedures, and standards of care.
• Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the individuals served.
• Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare team members within their scope of practice and holds them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
• Utilizes critical thinking in developing nursing interventions while maintaining responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Education
• Utilizes teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
• Consults appropriate resources to provide specialized education.
• Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents, and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
• Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
• Assists with departmental and hospital wide organizational quality improvement activities.
• Demonstrates competency in the administration of chemotherapy agents.
• Graduate of accredited nursing program
• BSN degree
• Two years of acute clinical experience
• Current knowledge and skills in chemotherapy administration preferred.
• Minimum of 1 year in a critical care (ICU/CCU/ER) or telemetry setting preferred; will consider other relevant experience
• Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in Iowa.
• Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from the date of hire.
• Chemotherapy administration certification current within 6 months prior to working independently.
• Attends a minimum of one in-service per year related to chemotherapy or job shadows at a cancer center.
• Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
• Successful completions of an Advanced Critical care course, or the ability to test out of the cardiac portion of the test preferred.
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) preferred.