The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) provides accurate and timely clinical diagnostic information to healthcare professionals in order to ensure high quality patient care and customer service.
$5,000 Sign On Bonus
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
• Prioritizes, performs, judges, and reports routine and esoteric procedures within established time guidelines.
• Maintains equipment, inventory, and work area according to standards, and documents appropriately.
• Documents, maintains, and reviews quality control (QC), proficiency testing, quality assurance, and other records to meet regulatory requirements.
• Performs, evaluates, and documents advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving activities, instrument validations, and interprets data for appropriate health professionals.
• Verifies identity of patient.
• Collects and prepares specimens for analysis or other medical purposes utilizing appropriate equipment.
• Accurately labels specimens.
• Distributes specimens for processing.
• Able to collect blood cultures using proper sterile technique.
• Able to collect newborn specimens, including newborn screens, using proper technique.
• Able to perform phlebotomy on patients of all ages.
• Able to perform therapeutic phlebotomies on patients.
• Urine Drug Screen Collections
• Breath Alcohol Collections
• Paternity Testing Collections
• Issues appropriate specimen collection containers to patients as needed.
• Performs computer operations and order entry duties using electronic medical record (EMR) and laboratory information system (LIS), ensuring accuracy and completeness.
• Faxing reports as appropriate
• Follows proper telephone etiquette. Answers the telephone, takes messages and directs inquires to the appropriate individual.
• Receives specimens into LIS
• Performs registration functions as required
• Scheduling drug screens, breath alcohol tests and paternity tests in scheduling system.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Hospital Emergency Incident Command System (HEICS). Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.