Sign On Incentive of $7,500 for CST and $5000 for LPN to qualifying candidates!
Description of Position:
The Certified Surgical Technologist I functions as a member of the surgical team to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical, therapeutic, and diagnostic procedures. The Certified Surgical Technologist I collaborates with the team to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The Certified Surgical Technologist I is proficient in the role of first or second scrub person, or assistant circulator during procedures within one specialty area.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Demonstrates knowledge, competency and skills with assisting, maintaining sterile fields, exhibiting aseptic technique and surgical skin preparation during surgical procedures in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Is knowledgeable of instrumentation and supplies with setup and handling on sterile field.
· Anticipates and responds to needs of surgeon, staff and patient.
· Knowledgeable in functions of Central Sterile Processing related to cleaning, disinfecting, sterilizing, wrapping and storage of instrumentation following appropriate “Instructions for Use” (IFU’s) of instrumentation.
· Understands usage of standard precautions, personal protective equipment and isolation precautions.
· Prepares and assembles, all necessary equipment, supplies and positioning aids based on preference card.
· Prepares medications for administration on the operative field under the direction of the physician.
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhances Surgical Technology practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school diploma or GED
Graduation from a nationally accredited surgical technology program
Associate’s degree preferred
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must possess certification in surgical technology through a nationally certifying body (NBSTSA or NCCT)
Must possess current basic life support (BLS) certification
NBSTSA certification preferred
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
Basic computer knowledge using Microsoft Office, web browser, and email
Demonstrates competency for Surgical Technologist I (Skilled), as outlined in Operating Room ST Clinical Ladder
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Call responsibilities may be associated with this position. Certified Surgical Technologist I (Skilled) must remain substance free and within 30 minutes of the facility when fulfilling call obligations