UnityPoint Health - Pekin
PRN, as needed.
Position Description: To facilitate and coordinate patient care services, responding supportively to the needs of internal and external customers.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Assists staff, both directly and indirectly, by providing support, guidance and effective problem solving in a variety of crises, including personnel and staffing issues, code blue, and others.
· Promptly accessible, throughout shift, to staff and Switchboard via phone.
· Activity assists staff in problem resolution, developing their problem-solving skills in the process.
· Assesses utilization and reception of float help.
· Promptly and effectively contributes to any emergency overhead calls.
· Makes frequent rounds during which:
o Demonstrates sensitivity to staff's current situation
o Interactions are purposeful (address need for information, encouragement, etc.)
o Offers specific assistance, i.e., answer lights, IV therapy, intervene with problem patients, direct care delivery, clerical assistance, etc.
o Provides expertise in a consultative role
Supports line managers by providing, clarifying and/or reinforcing information regarding values, policies, procedures, and current organizational events, practices, or issues.
· Promptly communicates significant issues/concerns regarding patient care delivery or unit personnel to Nurse Manager and Director.
· Offers assistance and follows with concerns on the shift.
· Supports strategies in unit development or system changes.
· Consistently demonstrates and openly reinforces the values and standards of the department and organization
Ensures effective deployment and/or reallocation of available staff based on patient care needs and unit staffing plans.
· Completes any needed reallocation in a timely manner.
· Staffing decisions are congruent with unit staffing plans/targets and patient care needs.
· Staffing variances are identified by fact.
· Collaborates as appropriate with staff to understand patient care needs.
· Staff has confidence their input is respected and considered in difficult staffing decisions.
· Evaluates affected units for results/impact.
· Communicates complex staffing decisions and rationale to Nurse Manager and Director.
Acts as on-site “administrator,” maintains current knowledge of clinical issues, policies and procedures.
· Knows and uses available resources.
· Handles concerns using sound judgement.
· Applies policies and procedures and deviates from policies and procedures appropriately; deviations are explainable and supportable.
· Reports significant information, observations, or issues to responsible Director and/or Vice President.
· Promptly receives, investigates (to the extent appropriate), and documents Advocate calls, communicating with Nurse Manager and Director.
· Maintains and is familiar with resources in Nursing Office and Medical Center.
· Keeps abreast of changes in policies and procedures.
· Uses Administrator-on-Call appropriately.
· Maintains clinical knowledge and skills to serve as resource to staff and contribute to their development.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
Individuals hired after August 1, 2013 must obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN) within (5) years of start date.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN)
Demonstrated excellence in patient care and interpersonal skills with both patients/families and colleagues.
Previous experience preferred.
Current licensure in good standing as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Must possess and maintain Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification within 6 months of hire.
National Med/Surg Certification
Critical Care Certification (CCRN)
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.