Medical Director (Clinical Education)- Methodist
Shift: Days; 40 hrs/wk
The Medical Director participates in administrative decision-making, makes recommendations and participates in the review and approval of medical staff and clinical documentation policies. Serves as liaison between the Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) staff, Utilization Management, Physician Support, Payor Contracting, Health Information Management (HIM) Department, Medical Staff, and Administration to create a culture that is proactive in ensuring accurate clinical documentation to reflect quality patient care and positive outcomes. The Medical Director serves as a resource to hospital staff to share information regarding clinical documentation, reimbursement practices, healthcare trends, appropriate medical care and clinical workflows.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Preferred or Specialized
· Hold an unrestricted medical license in the state of Iowa
· Completion of medical residency
· Experience with denials management.
· Knowledge and experience in case management principles, processes, and practical application.
· Experience in working with third-party payor guidelines/medical necessity criteria such as InterQual® (e.g., knowledge of admission criteria for all levels of care).
· Experience in working with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services rules and regulations
· Experience leading large-scale change efforts.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Basic understanding of how clinical documentation affects the quality of care and outcome scores.
· Has the ability to communicate in oral and written form to different stakeholders (physicians, ancillary staff, billing office, researchers and payers).
· Teaching and coaching skills.
· Analytical ability and problem-solving skills.
· Working knowledge of electronic medical record.
· Knowledge of process improvement methodology.
· Knowledge of clinical, quality, and administrative facets of the healthcare industry.
· Familiarity with clinical documentation requirements.
· Collaborative attitude to enable a strong partnership with Case Management.
· Clinical credibility among physician peers.
· Persuasive and influential
· Knowledge of ICD and/or CPT codes to physician source documentation in a clinical setting.
· Knowledge of DRG and/or APC classification systems.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.