The purpose of the New Graduate Nurse is to facilitate the transition from graduate nurse to registered nurse. The New Graduate Nurse will work beside RN's and work as a team to provide excellent nursing care.
Why choose UnityPoint Health St. Luke’s Behavioral Health Unit's?
The UnityPoint Health Nursing Residency Program at St. Luke's Hospital in Cedar Rapids is a research-based program that offers supplemental education and support for the newly hired nurse graduate during their first year of employment as an RN. The purpose of the nurse residency program is to ease the transition from student nurse to professional nurse supporting you professionally, emotionally and socially during your first year of nursing.
The program is offered 3 times a year. You will start in either March, August or November. You will enter the section following your start date.
The classes will be an active learning format. They will focus on application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of information that is directly related to your role as a frontline nurse. Learning activities will include but are not limited to: simulation, role play, discussion, small/large group work sessions, lecture and self-reflection.
Rebecca Moore, MSN, RN
UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Hospital Nurse Residency Program
Office: (319) 369-7007
· Attends all mandatory education programs and department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department safety, specific job-related hazards, and regulatory compliance
· Follows the hospital exposure control plans/blood borne and air born pathogens
· Attire is professional, neat, clean and appropriate for the work environment
· Wears proper identification while on duty
· Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management
· Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance
· Attends the designated requirement of staff meetings and all mandatory meetings, reads and initials minutes as requested for all staff meetings, and participates in committees as requested
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health FOCUS Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention to team manager. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
· Must have completed an accredited nursing program
· Must not have passed boards yet
· BSN program completion preferred
· Completion of accredited nursing program
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· BLS Certification
· Must be able to meet the competency of unit assigned and also be able to complete orientation requirements
· Must be able to meet reliable attendance guidelines
· Must legally perform the essential functions of the job
· Able to demonstrate the necessary skills and competencies to include medication administration and nursing competencies
· Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, including the ability to communicate effectively
· Able to read, write, comprehend and speak English
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.