To facilitate the activities of a nursing unit through the effective performance of receptionist, clerical processes and/or to assist Registered Professional Nurses in performing assigned patient care and unit maintenance activities. The position manages information and connects physicians, staff, and visitors with appropriate resources. THIS POSITION IS MONDAY - FRIDAY PT 12 HOURS (one 8 hr/one 4 hour or 2 6/hr shifts).
Performs Patient Care Activities as delegated by the Nurse utilizing applicable policies and procedures to ensure patient needs and expectations are met.
· Knowledgeable and skilled in applicable procedures in providing care.
· Provides for hygiene needs of assigned patients (AM/PM care, oral hygiene, perineal care, shampoo, bathing, care of TED, SCD hose.)
· Provides for elimination needs of assigned patient. (assist to the bathroom, Foley care, bowel movements, records output.)
· Provides for comfort measures (Proper positioning, back rubs, oral care, wrinkle free bed sheets and ensuring that bedside table, water pitcher are within reach. Ambulating)
· Performs measurements of assigned patients (I&O, TPR, B/P, weights).
· Performs additional skills as directed and supervised by the nurse, after training and certification, i.e. bilichek, help with breastfeeding, infant heelstick specimen collection.
· Willingly responds to requests by nursing staff accepting delegated duties from the Nurse.
· Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge of patient.
· Completes assigned aspects of admission process including vital signs, height and weight, room setup, room orientation, assists patient to bed, assures call light available etc.
· Achieves patient satisfaction when providing patient care.
· Makes rounds minimally every two hours to assure that patients are comfortable, positioned properly, call light available, room orderly.
· Answers all call lights promptly
· Respects privacy
· Reports pertinent patient information to the nurse assigned to the patient in a timely manner. Documentation is completed on all documents used prior to leaving shift.
· Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider’s orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
Performs activities efficiently and accurately to facilitate quality patient care and ensure a safe environment
· Completes work within assigned shift.
· Prevents waste of supplies and linen.
· Checks patient rooms and other areas- restocking as needed.
· Demonstrates ability to organize and prioritize work with changes as directed by the nurse.
· Uses slow time to improve unit appearance and accept additional assignments.
· Assists others in assignment completion.
· Completes assigned maintenance tasks such as: cleaning of kitchen, refrigerators, utility rooms, IV poles, carts, making charts, and distributing SPD items.
· Responds promptly to urgent requests.
· Provides for safety measures of assigned patients (lift equipment, transfers, side rails, bed checks, call lights, gait belt use, back safety, slide board, use of restraints.)
· Adheres to Hand washing policy
· Offers assistance when needed
· Utilizes proper phone techniques, I.e.: hold, transfer, etc.
· Prioritizes and accurately channels incoming and outgoing information
· Maintains flexibility and is able to adapt to rapidly changing environment and work volume. I.e. Code Blue, staffing needs
· Assists in achieving department goals and objectives.
· Recognizes role others play in providing care to the patient. Provides pertinent information on assigned patients to the nurse during the shift and as requested.
Accurate completion of records and charting. Completion of needed clerical duties specific to the area assigned
· Complete/maintain the state log books, Newborn screen collection slip.
· Prepare charts for anticipated D/C's, faxing discharge summary to the PCP.
· Assembles admission packets
· Ensure appropriate charges are entered.
· Demonstrates knowledge of ordering supplies for the unit as delegated
· Runs errands and performs extra duties as requested.
· Knowledgeable of quality improvement indicators and assists in achieving positive patient outcomes.
· File reports from printer/fax
· Checks nutrition inventory and re-orders as needed
· Utilizes Technology accurately and efficiently.
· score: N/A
· Prints labels as needed
· Understands and is knowledgeable of computer downtime procedures
· Utilizes the Intranet and email to keep abreast of MMCI information Uses and is able to trouble-shoot fax machine and printer
Demonstrates the philosophy of Family Centered Care and good customer relations
· Greets visitors, physicians, patients, and staff promptly in friendly receptive manner
· Establishes positive working relationships with other hospital personnel
· Knowledgeable and respectful of the roles other ancillary department personnel have in delivering patient care
· Conveys warmth, concern, and respect for all those who come in contact
· Communication with others is open, honest, and respectful
· Alert and responsive to all alarms/call lights.
· Utilizes teamwork effort to maintain positive patient perceptions in the areas of promptness, friendliness, attitude toward calls, took problem seriously, attention to special needs, temperature of foods, noise level, temperature of the room, attitude towards visitors, and concern for privacy.
· Explains procedures, etc. to patient and family within the nursing assistant scope such as meal times, a.m. care delivery.
· Maintains neat and safe patient environment, including bedside table, bathrooms, wastebaskets and family lounges.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School graduate or GED equivalent
0-1 years of experience in/with medical terminology, typing, computer work, and previous nursing assistant work required.
Certification as a Certified Nursing Assistant unless the incumbent possesses on the job training and greater than 10 years’ experience in both the nurse aid and unit secretary positions.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire/start date.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.