Sign On Incentive of $3,000 for qualifying candidates!
The ED Tech is responsible for a variety of tasks and services to assist in the provision of care and comfort for patients under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). The ED Tech will report and record observations and contribute to the efficient functionality of the department.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work at https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Partners with the RN and other healthcare team members to achieve patient care outcomes and goals of care, as identified in the plan of care.
· Obtains records and/or accurately enters data into the EMR, as identified in the PCT Scope of Practice. Competency validation and documentation of skill performance is required.
o Vital signs per department policy
o Intake and output
o Intentional Rounding
o Other appropriate patient observations
· Performs specific tasks as directed by the RN and other healthcare team members, following competency validation.
o Perform blood glucose testing
o Empty waste devices (urinals, hats, bedpans) promptly and record I & O if applicable
o Perform bladder scans
o Set up simply oxygen therapy (nasal cannula), ability to change from wall to portable
o Perform pulse oximetry
o Assist with safe patient handling
o Assist with patient transport via wheelchair or stretcher
o Perform linen changes
o Delivers water, coffee, ice, and/or other nourishments as needed
o Returns soiled food trays to cart
o Promptly responds to call lights
o Assists with prompt room turnover between patients
o Provides assistance to health care team members as required
o Perform and transmit EKG’s house-wide on nights
o Insert foley catheters (NOT to insert Caude catheters)
o Remove IV catheters
o Maintain ultrasound and scopes
o Stock patient care rooms
o Stock carts
o Provide 1:1 sitting with Behavioral Health (BH) patients
o Transport admitted BH patients with Security to inpatient units
o Transport stable patients
o Transport monitored patients who have not had chest pain in the department and are
not on IV medications or receiving blood
o Set up/assist with procedures
§ Lumbar Punctures
· May assist with responsibilities of the Unit Secretary, per department expectations and appropriate competency validation.
· Assist patients with activities of daily living.
o Assist with patient ambulation, with or without assistive devices
o Application of Ortho Appliance
· Provide Crutch fitting and education
· May assist in transporting medications that are not controlled substances from pharmacy delivery devices to medication storage areas on patient care unit, as well as transporting medications from patient care unit to pharmacy.
· Demonstrates an awareness of patient and personal safety.
· Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills with patients, families, healthcare team members and other customers. Verbal communication is clear and precise. Written communication is legible, if handwritten, and done in a timely manner using approved abbreviations.
· Verbally presents factual, concise, and timely information and/or patient care data to the RN, the healthcare team, patients and/or family members in a professional manner.
· Real-time EMR documentation is done in accordance with hospital and unit policies.
· Hand-offs will be done with attention to detail and with safety as a high priority. Hand-offs are utilized to communicate patient treatment and assessment information, patient education needs, goals of care and other quality care measures at each change of caregiver or setting of care.
· Collaborates with healthcare team to provide patient care.
o Consults with RN and/or other healthcare team members, as appropriate.
o Obtains instruction and supervision, as necessary, when implementing new or unfamiliar tasks or duties.
o Complies with established department routines, policies and procedures.
· Continually maintains and strives to enhance personal technical and clinical competence in all job related duties.
· Participates in mandatory education and department staff meetings, per established guidelines.
· Participates in shared governance and performance improvement activities at department and/or organizational level.
· Complies with established safety goals, infection prevention and risk management policies and procedures.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High School diploma or GED
· Completion of a fundamentals course in nursing school or completion of EMT
· At least one year of clinical experience
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Maintain current BLS certification
· Crisis Prevention Intervention Training (CPI)
· C.N.A. certification
· Writes, reads, speaks, and comprehends fluent English
· Be able to complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training
· Must successfully complete in-hospital orientation and competencies.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.